Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one will work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daitey

Hi Everyone,
Just joined.Well, the issue is i am taking on a project that will require detection of very small changes in currents(an order of micoamperes) and make decisions depending on the magnitude of change.I am thinking of using the ADC(analog-to-digital) of a PIC to detect the magnitude of change.Is there a device i can use for this or is my idea the best option?
Thank you

Last edited:
Vital information missing.

You are looking for changes of a few microamps, but is that a change from 10uA to 11uA, or a change from 1.000000A to 1.000001A ?
Both represent a change of 1uA, but the first case is easy, the second maybe needs a bit of thinking about.

JimB

Change of microamps

Thanks.But can you help me figure out the second change that is of a higher precision?Even if i don't use it now its no harm exercising the brain.

Current changes have to be converted to an equivalent voltage before converting A/D.

For instance using a standard 500Ω burden resistor the voltage across it is calculated according to Ohm's law.

10µA would result in a voltage of 500mV, while 1.000001A would result in 500.0005V.

I wouldn't think an MCU can convert this to digital.

If i am getting you right, do you mean the MCU i plan using (8 bit) cannot do the job?If yes then how do you suggest i continue(move on)?

Last edited:
how do you suggest i continue(move on)?
You could start by answering my initial question, you are looking for changes of a few uA, but how much of a change in current do these few uA represent?

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back