Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which MAX232 to get!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Ok, i am looking through the Jameco magazine, and there are well over 30 different MAX232 chips to choose from...

I am not sure which one to get? I just want a "general purpose" one that i can experiment with... :eek:

Do i need a multichannel driver? or just a single channel? I am assuming that means there are multiple inputs and outputs?

Part numbers would be nice.... :)

Thanks

maxim do one variant that doesn't need external caps. got one, haven't tried it yet. seems to me like it will be an improvement.

Marks256 said:
Ok, i am looking through the Jameco magazine, and there are well over 30 different MAX232 chips to choose from...

I am not sure which one to get? I just want a "general purpose" one that i can experiment with... :eek:
MAX232CPE: 5V powered, 1 uF (min) external caps, DIP16. This is the basic chip.

Last edited:
Marks256 said:

Do i need a multichannel driver? or just a single channel? I am assuming that means there are multiple inputs and outputs?

Part numbers would be nice.... :)

Thanks

i'd get the one where rebecca romaine -stamos is in there, naked, july 2006 i think.

oh, i thought you were talking about the guy magazine.

The maixim ones are used for various apps, power consuption, size, voltage supply etc.. Some are 3v, 3.3v, 5v etc..some require no caps at all, and I believe some are even 'line powered'. The ST versions are identical, and a hell of a lot cheaper. Even Analog Devices do some..down to 2.8V.

I have quite a few laying around that I've tacked on to previous orders...most are the 'ST232CN'. DIL 16..100nF caps, works a treat. Dual channel (like almost all of them) for either two UARTS, or one with handshaking lines. (DTR, CTS...sometimes used for reset on PIC's for bootloading).

Have you considered this?
http://www.scienceprog.com/alternatives-of-max232-in-low-budget-projects/

Not quite 'perfect' if you're going to have a 20 metre serial cable, but I haven't had problems with it so far, plus it works down to 2v...very handy for those 12F series PICs...you don't have to worry about supply voltage really. Again, not as true to the RS232 spec as those **232 IC's, but nevertheless, its a level shifter.

Datasheets are our friends :D

Blueteeth

thanks. I will get a MAX232CPE or two :)eek: they are 2.89 a piece! :eek:)

so should i get the MAX232N?

Marks256 said:
so should i get the MAX232N?

at that price, yes, unless the maxim version (max232cpe) does something fancy that you need specifically. if you want a premium level shifter, consider the max3232 which is a low voltage version, so you can interface with 3v projects.

I am going to stick with TTL for now. I can't seem to fine the MAX232N in the catalog. Or is it online only?

i don't know, I rarely if ever use printed catalogs for anything.

I punch MAX232N into the mfg part # box, and it comes up.

its interesting, there is also a MAX232NE4 listed on the jameco website, even cheaper $0.635 ea min qty 2

https://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/max232.html

Marks256 said:
thanks. I will get a MAX232CPE or two :)eek: they are 2.89 a piece! :eek:)

Well, you can build a MAX232-based serial interface on veroboard and provide connections to +5 V, GND, TX and RX, so that you can use the little board with any circuit that requires RS-232 level shifting.

The MAX232N is the fine too. I've used the MAX232EPE too, it has extended temperature range.

As JustDIY suggests, the MAX3232 will be useful if you'll need to use the serial interface with 3V-powered circuits. You can choose the external capacitors so that the MAX3232 will operate from 3 to 5 V. I don't remember if there is a through-hole version of this chip, mine are all SMD.

For general purpose... I would get the cheapest.

Dont worry.
get any one you like, for some little hobby work, all are fine with slight change in operating conditions and the number of drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back