Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which makes more sense to you about Volts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sceadwian,

Yes, and each of your references states: the coulomb is the SI unit. The SI unit is the one by which other quantities are established (not the other way around.)
The ampere, and voltage, are both derived from the SI unit, the coulomb.
Voltage is the energy, or work per unit of charge: V = W/Q, where V is voltage, W is energy in joules, and Q is charge in coulombs.

As stated before: I = Q/t
where I is current in amperes, Q is charge in coulombs, and t is time. An ampere is the amount of current which exists when a coulomb of charge is moved past a point in one second.

In each reference you give, they say coulomb is the electric charge, which is a quantity, and that quantity is not defined by time (as you say.) A charge can exist when no current is flowing. Think of a battery, or a capacitor. Both can store a charge when there is no current.
Current cannot exist when there is no charge; but charge can exist when there is no current.

My source here is Tom Floyd "Principles of Electric Circuits." Chapter Two. I wouldn't tell you to look it up if I hadn't first. And I've gone back to it - thanks to you - several times to double check. (our discussion is benefit to me.)

Old English sounds more like Scandinavian - Norwegian or Danish - than it does English.

Two Amps flowing for 10 seconds is not 2/10 coulombs. It is 2*10 coulombs.

So, not Amps per Second.

Mike.

Sceadwian said:
BeepBop, a columb is defined as one ampere per second. It's a quantity of electrons over time, not so sure it's my english that needs work =)

Q=IT

1 Coulomb = 1 Ampere Second

There is no "per". "Per" implies division.

I=Q/T

1 Ampere = 1 Coulomb PER Second.

Bob

Well, apparently my english is fine it's my intent that needs a little work =) That was a typo.

Okay I have one thing to ask about a coulomb, but I need to be REAL careful to state that this question is not not trying to try in the analogy of the water bit people like to use in electronics so often.

BUT... Wouldn't a coulomb be kind of like just cup of water. a cup of water is just a set amount that we talk about to help understand a quantity of water not what the water is doing, simply just how much water no matter really what it is doing. One cup of stale water or one cup of boiling water or one cup of spilled water etc. If we need it in a recipe we know how much that is.

If we talk about 1 coulomb then we are just talking about a set 'number' of electrons (which I could put down the number but its not needed to make this point err.. or to ask this question). So one coulomb is one coulomb, be it in a battery with other sets of one coulombs all waiting for their turn to flow through the circuit or if it be sitting in a capacitor etc... if we talk about “what” that 1 coulomb is “doing” then we add a different name to the coulomb.

So if we talk about one amp then we know it is a (single) coulomb traveling through the circuit with a set time and through a set amount of resistance...

OH GOD.. I really hope this comes out simple to everyone. heh.. oh well I have enjoyed the debate you all have done. great job everyone! :)

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

BeeBop said:
Nah, your English needs work; should be a capital. = )

Don't you all simply mean grammar not English? Although English sure seems to be working just fine. :p

KevinAlaska said:
Okay I have one thing to ask about a coulomb, but I need to be REAL careful to state that this question is not not trying to try in the analogy of the water bit people like to use in electronics so often.

BUT... Wouldn't a coulomb be kind of like just cup of water. a cup of water is just a set amount that we talk about to help understand a quantity of water not what the water is doing, simply just how much water no matter really what it is doing. One cup of stale water or one cup of boiling water or one cup of spilled water etc. If we need it in a recipe we know how much that is.

If we talk about 1 coulomb then we are just talking about a set 'number' of electrons (which I could put down the number but its not needed to make this point err.. or to ask this question). So one coulomb is one coulomb, be it in a battery with other sets of one coulombs all waiting for their turn to flow through the circuit or if it be sitting in a capacitor etc... if we talk about “what” that 1 coulomb is “doing” then we add a different name to the coulomb.

So if we talk about one amp then we know it is a (single) coulomb traveling through the circuit with a set time and through a set amount of resistance...

OH GOD.. I really hope this comes out simple to everyone. heh.. oh well I have enjoyed the debate you all have done. great job everyone! :)

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

Great example! I see nothing wrong with it.

heh! Okay thank you! :)

((walks off proudly))

Sincerely,

Kevin in Alaska

as an introduction to learners, I use water.

Voltage is like the height of the water tank. resistance is the size of the pipe and current is just current or water flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back