Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which ICSP do I use for AVR Atmel MCU's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sashvat

Hi guys, I am making a project which needs to be quite small and I am thinking of using the Atmel 328P-PU. The project is to make a key finder for my Swiss army knife. I was seeing some tutorials on YouTube, where people say I should use Atmel's ICE to program the chips and no other method is recommended, but its way too expensive, I thought I could use a USB-ASP to program it, a more cheaper and easier method. Can you tell me which is better? The USB-ASP, or the Atmel's ICE?

I have programmed a Atmega 16 before and I used a USB-ASP, but I forgot how to do it as I switched over to a Mac. Also can you share me tutorials on how to program Atmel AVR chips? It would be grateful to share links.

Thank you.

As you've already been told numerous times, simply use the FREE Arduino IDE, and there are endless tutorials on doing so.
My question was, which should I buy, USB-ASP or the Atmel's ICE. An Arduino pro mini or Micro are too big for my project, I want to keep it small

My question was, which should I buy, USB-ASP or the Atmel's ICE. An Arduino pro mini or Micro are too big for my project, I want to keep it small

You don't need either, you can buy bare 328's with the Arduino bootloader already installed - or if you've got an Arduino you can use that to program the bootloader into a totally blank chip.

You don't need either, you can buy bare 328's with the Arduino bootloader already installed - or if you've got an Arduino you can use that to program the bootloader into a totally blank chip.
Thank you very much, I will do as you say. But also I want to try using Atmel Studio 7 (or which ever is the latest version) what do I need to use for that?

Thank you very much, I will do as you say. But also I want to try using Atmel Studio 7 (or which ever is the latest version) what do I need to use for that?

No idea, I've only used it with a MicroChip XPlained board. Presumably the Studio 7 page at MicroChip would give you your options?.

http://www.technoblogy.com/show?TWD even on a mac
try it out. Arduino without the cores lets you use the AVR gcc compiler without the arduino bloat
you write your code in C
Like this
Code:
#include <avr/io.h>
#include <stdint.h>

int led = 5; // In port B

void setup() {               
 DDRB = DDRB | 1<<led;         // Define PB5 as an output
}

volatile long Counter;

void delay (long n) {          // Delay by n milliseconds
 Counter = 469 * n;
  do Counter--; while (Counter != 0);
}

// The loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  PORTB = PORTB | 1<<led;      // Take PB5 high
  delay(1000);                 // Wait for a second
  PORTB = PORTB & ~(1<<led);   // Take PB5 low
  delay(1000);                 // Wait for a second
}

// We need main()
int main() {
  setup();
  for(;;) loop();
}

Last edited:
I'm using the AVR ISP MKII programmer.
That would be supported by studio 7 an near all of the ATtiny and ATMEGA Controller.
Additional it give You the the possibility of PDI Programming ( for ATXMEGA Controller types ).

There is an DIAMEX All AVR ISP Programmer availible, but I've not tested if it works proper with Studio 7.

For ICSP programming on atmega's I like tl866 (nice if your doing dips in ZIF as well). I have also used xprog, orange5, usb-asp, and a uno. All work fine for icsp programming.

Doesn't Atmel Studio 7 recognize and use an Arduino with the Arduino-as-ISP sketch installed as a valid programmer?

There's also a relatively inexpensive Chinese programmer ($1.69 landed) based on the MIT FABtinyISP design which is recognized as a USBtinyISP.

usbtinyisp.jpg

I made a simple adapter with ZIF socket for programming a few of the Atmel 8, 14, and 20 pin chips often used by David Johnson-Davies on his Technoblogy blog. In this case, instead of installing the 2x3 male pins on the programmer, I installed a 2x3 female socket that can plug directly into the ICSP connector on an Uno or Nano board or the ICSP connectors on the adapter board...

attiny_adapter.png

As a bonus, the adapter can plug directly into a PICKIT2 or PICKIT3 to program almost all of the Microchip 8, 14, and 20 pin chips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back