Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddustin

I am making a board that needs to support USB and CAT-5. Ideally this chip handles a lot of the nitty griddy of establishing the CAT-5 as a network line and DHCP ip negotiation though that is not a requirement.

It also needs as many pins as it can muster. I'm looking for something as cheap as possible (in bulk). Oh and it must be incredibly reliable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the quick reply. I have had a very difficult time researching chips on the internet. Everything just seems to lead to suppliers. The best I find are the white-papers released by the manufacturers. And annoyingly it seems like the more expensive manufacturers are more likely to have them than the cheaper ones.

Could you maybe explain a bit of the history and current usefulness of this chip? And / or direct me to somewhere where I can read about it?

I'm an expert. The characteristics in the first post are what I'm after.

I will definitely look at that website and see how helpful it is.

Additionally, the chip can be single-write or multi-write. Just as long as there is a multi-write version available to develop on.

I'm an expert in many things. In the previous post I was replying to your asking "What experence do you have with embedded design and/or programming in C"?.

For added clarity: I've been programming for ages and I am quite good at this.

Well programming is good. Half the battle.

Now you said cat-5 are you using it for Ethernet? And USB is it host or slave?
What cable lengths for Ethernet & USB do you require?

I am making a board that needs to support USB and CAT-5. Ideally this chip handles a lot of the nitty griddy of establishing the CAT-5 as a network line and DHCP ip negotiation though that is not a requirement.
Cable lengths should be whatever is standard. I understand CAT-5 can usually go a few 100 feet while USB is theoretically 16ft but realistically about 14. The product could be alright with 75ft of CAT-5 and 10ft of USB. USB slave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back