Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where's the software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob D.

I just bought an MPLAB PICKIT4 debugger. There are no instructions or software in the box, not even a web page to find them. Also, I will need an assembler and/or C compiler. Some demo source code would be nice. I've always started a project from existing code, even if it has little to do with the current project. Any advice is appreciated.
BTW, the PIC I picked (ha-ha) is the 18F27Q10.

Bob D.

Win 10 here - MPLABX IDE 5.45 - Assembly pic-as 2.31. Enough to get working projects.

Just install MPLABX and XC8 (compiler). Once installed you can generate the config bits and a main.c.

The C compiler does not do any optimisation as it's free. When installing you get the option to start a free trial - decline it. Once your project is complete then start the free trial to optimise your code.

Mike.

As augustinetez said... You only need the MPLABX IPE and the pickit 4 / 3 can be used like they used to be back with the pickit2...

It's like the old pickit 2 software but I think a bit more powerful

The C compiler does not do any optimisation as it's free.
Yes it does. It allows optimizations up to level -O2 in the free mode, which isn't too bad.

There's also free but crippled versions of C compilers available there as well.
They're not really crippled... the only limitation of free mode is none of the advanced optimizations.

The nonsense you see about them purposely crippling the free compilers is, well, nonsense.
It could be better, but I find O2 quite acceptable in most situations.

Last edited:
I am just migrating to Microchip tool-chain with PIC18F47Q10.
... Same PIC, just with more pins.

Coming from a background of many years of amateur, fun, PIC programming experience with other C compiler.

Maybe I can help? I have no issues with XC8 or PICkit4. I like both.
No assembler code though... all C

Just ask....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back