Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to get "custom electronics design & prototyping" from concept to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.

badscr

Where could I get custom electronics design & prototyping done at?
Where can I go for electronic product design from concept to completion.

About how much does it cost? , What I am wanting is simple in hardware but the software/firmware is very complex.

Electronic Product Development Engineering Services - Electronic Product Design Engineering Outsource Service

I cant find the following on the Better Business Bureau website Check Out a Business or Charity - U.S. BBB
**broken link removed**
Electronics Design Service, custom electronic Embedded Systems & Prototyping services
Electronic & Circuit Design / Engineering Service, custom electronic embedded systems; prototyping services

Thanks,

Last edited:
Without a description of the product, it is impossible to answer your questions.

Mike.

where in the world: The United States.

I place a picture(bitmap) from my computer onto a SD card.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Device

Take a image(bigger the better) from a SD card and display it onto a CFAF320240F lcd display; then overlay an self-generated image based on data feed into it, and update the display every 1-second with the new data (1~3 frames per second);

also with, image resizing/scaling capabilities, zoom with scrolling capabilities, draw on screen, read/write to the SD card, Xbee networking of about 1000~2000 or-more Devices.

Last edited:
Aside from it's lacking the SD card interface wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an iPad or even a Windows CE device? The cost of design to manufacture a custom device would be very high. Better to use something off the shelf if you can.

An Ipad nano would be nice (If I could import an picture), but.

*Some of the data comes from sensors hardwired to the device ( serial, I2C and maybe SPI )
*Networking could become a problem
* Need a range of 1 mile+ omni-directional line-of-sight (I was thinking a 60mW~1watt Xbee pro)
*The LCD display will need 0.25 inch thick plexiglass to protect it.

Last edited:
Bottom line is, getting outside design work and consultation will cost you big bucks, and I mean big. You need to specify requirements in the design and factor in time to complete and the man hours to make it so. You are looking at tens of thousands of dollars for anything more than a month of work. Out of curiosity, how much were you thinking of spending?

I was thinking that it would cost about $10,000 to $250,000 for design & prototyping

Last edited:
I've looked into the costs of prototyping extensively. It is very very expensive. You won't get taken seriously with a budget of $10,000. You're looking at a minimum of $100,000. You can find reputable prototyping companies and some are excellent, but I will tell you this. They actually don't care about your project at all and will do the simplest job at most cost because frankly you can't check what work they have or haven't done. You've demonstrated that by asking them to do the work in the first place!!! So don't use them!

You need to do this: Set up your own company! Employ part time research staff, pay them, monitor their work. Expect to use your whole budget, learn how to pull in money from outside investors, you'll need it. Expect to work long hours yourself. If you aren't committed, why would anybody else be? The timescales to bring new products to market is enormous, at a minimum 5 years. Are you really that committed, ask yourself?

What probably happens is this: You fail! Research is very expensive and very risky, although it is very rewarding if you get it right. If you're lucky all goes well and you make millions.

Good luck!

How about going Open Source and if it makes it to market then everyone that contributed gets a fair cut of the profits.

Am not a very good salesman and have no idea how to get investors.

Was using google as a spell checker and found this: How to Start a Startup

What you need to do is go get professional advice. I used the company below. They are a British company so of no use to you, however there are US equivalents. For proper advice on high tech start ups you can expect to pay $100 an hour. You can't get around this because you don't know, so go and ask someone who does.

Inkopo Limited

OK, in a nutshell

A "Blue Force Tracker" for civilian use in paintball and maybe with augmented reality.

*3.5-inch touch screen display on the arm
*GPS with +-3meter or better
*Digital compass
*Xbee pro network 50mW+
*USB for firmware updates and tournament config/lockout

with a MSRP of $200 No arm display and No augmented reality
with a MSRP of $500 without augmented reality.
with a MSRP of $1200 with augmented reality.

Bring the video game into the real world
This wearable system provides every user with real time battlefield intelligence. This device will allow for scenarios that were not possible before. Enhancing management and organization of every soldier. No longer will a soldier wonder: "where am I, where are my friends, and do my buddies know where I am?", and for his commander: "where are my forces deployed?".

The map in the top right of screen. (MAG ps3) YouTube - MAG Gameplay Commentary - E2 - attacking sver acquisition, turrets, holding AA

There are a few more things.
* A max number of players of 1000 per side.
*A unit that can display both side (everyone/everything) onto a HDTV, and can be recorded onto a VCR/DVR/ect...
*A unit that can bridge networks together extending the max number on a team (a few 1-watt xbees).
* Computer software for the tournament holder to config everyone and check the firmware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back