Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to buy parts for DIY programmer, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathGeek

I am making the "simplest microcontroller programmer" (link: http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller/pic.html )

It seems like the programmer is an modified version of JDMprog.

I wanna know the place to buy those parts, especially RS 232(serial?) cable and the receiver(the one connected to the PCB). Also, would you please tell me where to buy economical servos?

PS: If you know any other free programmer that can program 16F84(A) or 16F628, please let me know.

pin counting

talking about your parellel port programmer, do you know how to count the parellel port pins i.e. pin number, location, and purpose?

Re: pin counting

MathGeek said:
talking about your parellel port programmer, do you know how to count the parellel port pins i.e. pin number, location, and purpose?

Yes, you can find loads of information on the net, try a google search.

Thanks, but I tried both google and yahoo. i got confused. :?:
I belive Rs 232 refers to either of the parellel and serial ports?

MathGeek said:
Thanks, but I tried both google and yahoo. i got confused. :?:
I belive Rs 232 refers to either of the parellel and serial ports?

NO! - RS232 is the serial port.

A simple google for 'parallel port information' gave this as the top hit
**broken link removed**.

Nigel Goodwin said:
NO! - RS232 is the serial port.

A simple google for 'parallel port information' gave this as the top hit
**broken link removed**.

Then what is the name for parellel port?

Parallel port, printer port or centronix port are the most common names for it

**broken link removed**

the picture shows the pins for a female connector, for male it's the other way around...

Exo said:
Parallel port, printer port or centronix port are the most common names for it

**broken link removed**

the picture shows the pins for a female connector, for male it's the other way around...

Thanks for the link. What about the serial port?

If you know any other free programmer that can program 16F84(A) or 16F628, please let me know.

Those files below are my PG2C programmer, built from PG2C of olimex. It works good with ICPROG

The 4 diode next to the db9 connector is 1N4007, and the 2 zener near the socket is 6V2 and 5V1. R = 1.5K and 10K. Everything is same to PG2C, but I rotate the socket to easy to push and pull out the PICs.

Transistor = 2N3904, 2N2222, if you use C1815, notice the pinouts, but it's oki.

Sometime, it may work with laptop, but I don't think is good, because the laptop only generate 11.7V from VSS to MCLR. I said sometimes! That is it cannot work frequently.!!! But everything is oki with desktop.

ICPROG support most of chip. But as you will see the Nigel programmer is very good, and I recommend you to use Nigel programmer.

A vietnamese friend who studying in Australia once say somewhere in this forum, his teacher recommended that everyone who learn to PIC, first have to get Nigel programmer himself.

You can use Nigel programmer with ICPROG = PROPIC2.
Then what is the name for parellel port?

Parallel port = printer port = LPT << this is the name

COM is a name of serial port, one type of communication standard RS232
USB is also a serial communication port, but it's the different standard.

www.lvr.com is the huge page of all ports.

Attachments

• pic-pg2c-sch.gif
    pic-pg2c-sch.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 769
Oh, sorry, I don't know, I upload again here.

And downthere is also the ORCAD files

There are 8 linkers in the pcb. It's because I don't want to build thin lines that may troubles some who make pcb themselves.

Note that the diode should place as

2---|<|------1

not

---|>|------

because the layout from scheme file make pin1 and pin 2 of diode from + to - And the nearer line show pin1

You can use ORCAD to move the components closer to make smaller board, but I don't care muchie of that, because I would like a large board enough to fix it on a plastic rectangle disk to protect soldered nods.

Attachments

• pg2c_layout.zip
    48.4 KB · Views: 208
  • pg2c_falleaf.zip
    90.7 KB · Views: 208
MathGeek said:
Exo said:
MathGeek said:
what do 5V1 and 6V2 mean for zener diodes? Knee voltage?

Yes, It's the zener's voltage.

So, 5V1 = 5.1 volts?
6V2 = 6.2 volts?

Those are European ways of writing?

I don't really know if it's European or not, but it's certainly common, resistors are often labelled 2K2 for 2.2K - I think they are the standard way of writing values these days.

If you filled your location in we might know where you were!, as far as we can tell you may well be in Europe?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I don't really know if it's European or not, but it's certainly common, resistors are often labelled 2K2 for 2.2K - I think they are the standard way of writing values these days.

I know the resistor 2K2 = 2200 way is the European way. Also, i think 2R2 = 2.2 ohms

So it works same with diodes? 6V2 = 6.2 volts?

falleafd said:
Oh, sorry, I don't know, I upload again here.

And downthere is also the ORCAD files

Note that the diode should place as

2---|<|------1

not

---|>|------

because the layout from scheme file make pin1 and pin 2 of diode from + to - And the nearer line show pin1

Huh? which diode? I am all confused now since I am a noob. Do you have a parts list and a picture of finished project? Please help this noob.

PS. Besides, what is the difference between yours and the one I mentioned originally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back