Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to buy a Pole Pig ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello, I've been tearing my hair out trying to find a place that sells pole pig distribution transformer. I need one thats minimum 5KVA @ 14.4KV on primairy. I called up more than a dozen local electrical distributors but more than half of them don't even know what a pole pig or pole mount transformer is! (Who hires theese people?). I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. And there just always a big shortage of supply when it comes 2 transformers in general (try finding a 24V 480VA transformer). I tried searching the web but all I find is links that ask for personal info and don't even specify the products they have (yeah right I am just gonna shell out my personal info to them). So does anyone know where I can get a Pole Pig for less ? Like a refubrished/used one ?

Thanks

P.S. I need it for a Tesla Coil. Oh, and please don't post comments such as "Just use a Neon Sign Transformer". No I am not interestted in using NST!

Last edited:
Maybe you can buy one from the local power company?

I doubt they will even answear the phone...

But thanx for the sugestion, I will definatly give it a try.

I seriously doubt the local utility company will sell you one. I've been down that road several times.
Watch your local scrap dealers. They get odd transformers in fairly often. Its where the vast majority of my transformers come from. I have seen up to over 2.5 MVA go through my local savage yard. And every size below that too!
A little secret to getting a good pad mounted transformers is to go to the salvage yards around the places that got flooded. The pad mount transformers are sealed but many still get changed out if they went under water!

Make sure your Last Will and Testament is up to date before firing up the transformer.

Make sure your Last Will and Testament is up to date before firing up the transformer.

LOLZ ! Ironicaly I just filled it out at my military recruit office. Though thats not very helpful with my project...

I seriously doubt the local utility company will sell you one. I've been down that road several times.
Watch your local scrap dealers. They get odd transformers in fairly often. Its where the vast majority of my transformers come from. I have seen up to over 2.5 MVA go through my local savage yard. And every size below that too!
A little secret to getting a good pad mounted transformers is to go to the salvage yards around the places that got flooded. The pad mount transformers are sealed but many still get changed out if they went under water!

Thanks! I will definatly search some local scrap dealers than.

Ebay (sadly).

**broken link removed**

Lolz thats just sad. However the shipping for that must be in $$$ range. And its not a 14.4KV type

You need 5kW at 14.4kV???? Thats just wrong.

Tesla coils are high V very low I, and fairly easy and cheap to wind yourself.

Thats not Wrong! The more power you supply to the Tesla Coil, the more sparks you get. You can find dozens of videos on youtube and see for yourself the difference power input makes. If you supply High Voltage at very low current, the output sparks will be weak, short and boring...

Oh and Yes No **** that Tesla Coils are easy to wind yourself.

Last edited:
Oops, diddnt see that. Wow you need a lot of power.

Lolz the more power the better :p

How does 25KVA sound?

**broken link removed**

Frosty, it sounds like you're going to look like this soon.
**broken link removed**
Or worse. Like this
**broken link removed**

And last but NOT least
**broken link removed**

Just be sure someone video tapes you when you fire it off (no pun intended), the Darwin stories are more interesting when accompanied with a photo :)

The local news will be there if something fails, because a giant ball of plasma is exactly what you'll get at that power. But all we'll get to see is a pile of ash, definitely bring a camera, preferably with an RF transmitter and the receiver 200 feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back