Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where Can You Order Cheap Double Sided PCBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

I have a file in Eagle that I need a PCB for, but I made some changes to the original schematic (which contained surface mount parts), and normally before ordering the PCB I test the project out on a breadboard. However, to test it out on a breadboard I would have to order the breadboard version of all the components which might be wasting money and time since the PCB I order will use surface mounted components?

Now I'm not 100% the modified schematic I made will work correctly, thus why I'm looking for a cheap way of getting a double sided board made.

Since you have apparently little experience in making any PCB, how much is your time worth?

John

I just looked it up and it seems like it may be inexpensive to do, however, it takes as you seem to be indicating, a lot of time and different equipment/supplies to accomplish it. I think I'll stick with getting a manufacture to make it lol

When I started making PCBs the cheap places did not exist. If I stated today I doubt that I would even try making my own.

When you say cheap, how cheap are we talking about, and I know it depends on the board size? As jpan pointed out, I am a little new to this industry, but I have made a PCB board before for a class project and ordered it with Advanced Circuits and assembled it myself. So I understand the basics to it all, but since then I have not had to look further into this PCB stuff.

For a double-sided board, I would say a minimum of 12 hours and a few tries. That is minimum plus the cost of supplies . For a one-off, I think it is a no brainer. Remember, your double sided board won't have plated vias. Go commercial.

John

i'm using iteadstudio.com they have a cheap solution they also offer UPS and regular mail ..

I have been using their 5x5 cm boards for alot of test project like testing out footprints to simple circuits

Last edited:
If you possess a laser printer you might want to try using transparencies. (Use transparencies recommended by the printer manufacturer since the wrong type of transparency will melt and stick to the photo drum of the printer.)

Print the solder side as it is and mirror the component side to have the toner in direct contact with the UV-sensitive photo layer of the PCB material.

Use UV lamps (a good plant light will suffice), expose the PCB from both sides and develop the resulting image.

100% matching images can easily be done mounting the transparencies on top of each other using PCB material as spacer. Use (double sided) adhesive tape to fix the transparencies on strips of PCB material to form some kind of pocket. The intended PCB should rest snug within the frame to avoid slipping out of position when turning the PCB over.

Run an exposure test prior the real thing and check how contours appear.

Through holes are best done using "nails" through pads where there is no component. Resistors can be soldered from top and bottom and serve as through hole "plating".

According to my experience four to five hours would be maximum time to get a good prototype PCB for the first time.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back