Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When shopping for Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries, how can I verify before buying that the design complies with IEC 62133 and/or UL 2054

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoTekFan486

I of course just tried googling Li-Ion battery IEC 62133 / UL 2054, but all I got were test labs that offered that as a service to manufacturers. Oddly, that search didn't appear to turn up any batteries that listed compliance with standard X or Y as a "safety feature" even though I would think that one might sell more batteries if they advertised honestly that they did testing on that design before rolling it out to the public.

If I were replacing a battery in, say, a phone, I would of course get the same brand of battery from a reputable source that sells parts for that phone. However, that doesn't really help much if I want to build something from the ground up (of course, using a ready-made battery charging module or board, using cell(s) that have a protection board, including a fuse for overcurrent protection, etc)

I think you're perhaps missing the point? - the certification is probably on the entire battery pack, and NOT just the cells - so it's up to YOU to get certification after you've built the packs.

Certainly the certification isn't going to be at all relevant to the (probably) Chinese manufacturers, who will quite happily apply any label you wish (if you pay them), no testing or certification performed.

We used to have close contacts within Tatung UK (a now defunct TV manufacturer) who in their later years were having chassis's made in Taiwan by their parent company - around that time CE certification was starting to appear (which was to do with causing interference, and suffering from external interference), so they asked for a cost estimate from the factory for CE compliance. The replay was one penny per set, for the cost of the label - no testing of any kind performed or required.

I think you're perhaps missing the point? - the certification is probably on the entire battery pack, and NOT just the cells - so it's up to YOU to get certification after you've built the packs.

Certainly the certification isn't going to be at all relevant to the (probably) Chinese manufacturers, who will quite happily apply any label you wish (if you pay them), no testing or certification performed.

Well, many cells also have a protection board. Is there a different certification for those being design-tested?

Also if I needed a multi-cell pack, I would much rather buy one off the shelf that already fits my needs- that's also been design-tested to meet those standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back