Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When do I use Ammeter's AC mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfHearts

Two questions:

1) I was wondering, when do I use the AC mode on the Ammeter? Perhaps what I mean is, what does this mode show?

Suppose we have V(t)=V.sin(t), a sine wave in other words, which we want to measure; what would the reading be telling us? The peak voltage V? rms? If rms, can someone explain to me what this means.

2) I have a 7805 connected to a motor via another device. The motor is using PWM, which are square waves. The period of these waves are about 100ms. If I want to measure the current output from this 7805 while the motor is running under this PWM signal, should I be using the AC mode, or the DC mode?

Many thanks.

1) When you want to measure AC current. ;)
2) What you "measure" will depend on what you measure it with. If you use a scope it will be easy to read the peak-peak voltage. With a true RMS voltmeter you will get the RMS value. RMS means Root Mean Square which in simple non mathematical language means the RMS voltage will produce the same power into a resistive load as will the same DC voltage. Same goes for RMS current.
2)You would use a DC ammeter in series with the 7805 output. This is because it is pulsating DC and not AC.

The AC measurement mode is all but useless on most cheap meters as it's not true RMS and depends on the input signal being a pure sine wave between 50-60hz Measuring a PWM signal going to a motor with a hand held meter like that is a waste of time and will give you virtually no useful information. Even true RMS multimeters have a frequency range which they work in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back