Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wheel mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
samarsingla said:
you saw the pic. did you understand how it works. the receiver is a phototransistor(thee terminals) and there is only one led....

Have a closer look ate the "phototransistor", I think you will find that it is really two light sensitive devices.

One LED, ok one LED could serve two sensors. Light is light is light.

JimB

the sensor part has three connections, that is should it be one phototransistor or two photodiodes, i could make out no physical demarcation.

samarsingla said:
could you please elaborate on that a bit more. do you mean two leds and two photodiodes or something. please explain or giv me some link to follow. thanx

As JimB says, yes, two photodiodes, and possibly two LED's, although one LED carefully placed would be enough.

Take a mouse to pieces and have a look!, count the pins on the sensors, and perhaps even scope them to see what's happening - because they may use common pins to reduce the pin count - perhaps just two outputs, one LED input, and a common ground?.

dknguyen is right. They have 1 LED shining thru the slots at 2 photo transistors. Look at the PCB traces. The unit on one side will have 3 terminals, 1 power and 2 outputs that go to the IC chip. They put out a two phase signal.

Woohoo! I wasn't wrong. Always feels good. PLus I clarified a little mudiness in my mind about what the 90 degree phase shift was.

Last edited:
It probably has two receivers tho, one led for a light source, and 2 receivers to give you quadrature. Check the number of leads on the IR detector, likely 3 or 4.

why the above posts did not appear before I wrote my redundant answer I have no idea. I must be losing it. LOL

Last edited:
I found an exception doing a dissection on a newer Logitech mouse. The sensor has +5, ground and output, and puts out a signal that repeats approximately every 10 microseconds. It looks something like this:
-_-_-----------. There seems to be more information than just pulses and the second low disappears when going one direction.

zevon8 said:
why the above posts did not appear before I wrote my redundant answer I have no idea. I must be losing it. LOL

Maybe you just type reaaallly....reallllllyyy.....REAAAAALLLLLYYY slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back