Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's your education level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and stay alive in process :)

and as for future, i might educate myself bit more in ict/comnnucations course, shouldn't take more than year now that i have EE's papers. probadly lots of learn-in-work, or what is it in english, where you go to local ''shops'' and learn by doing as work.

learn-in-work, or what is it in english

"On the job training" could be the expression you are looking for.

JimB

yeah, that was what i was looking for, thanks :)

There, now i'm graduated in EE. Haha, i need to go back to school tomorrow, i forgot to give my locker key, and teacher has certificate ticket of S2 with him. And of course, to publish myself as jobless, for future job-hunting. I do have one good place where to ask work, my buddy gave one good lead.

as it turned out, i got the job in local telemetry company. 'Been working there for an month now. My colleague is very nice, and has patience needed for teaching along the way. Teaching is good, as there is small portion of programming and similar in my work, but mostly its more ''hands dirty'' working. :)

...I have had electronics in my blood since around the age of 10 years old. I remember breaking things just to find out what was "in the box'...
Cheers,
TV Tech
I remembered my childhood too. I also broke lots of components to see that what is the thing inside the package.

I broke resistors and got nothing. I found plates on capacitor, broke 2N3055 metal case big transistor and got just only Big case but almost empty inside. But I never tried to break TO-92 case transistors because they were not attractive in looks for me and I used to think that they are not more important thing there because it had very less numbers around whole device. I broke an EHT transformer of TV and I broke lots of batteries. Blasted many button cell batteries (non-rechargeable) by re-charging on power supply.

Still I am breaking components to find how they are manufactured and how they works :) . Few months ago I broke TO-220 transistor and got small chip, it looks like amazing!! I tested few segments of there and got 0.6V diode voltage drop! It was working!

Few months ago I broke an Optocoupler carefully to get a phototransistor separately from there. It was so hard and complicated combination then so failed hehehe

I broke a Germenium diode and get a tiny germenium chip and a spring wire. Now I have this chip and wire only. When I pointed the wire to the chip manually, every time it works perfectly and no more pressure adjust needed! Wow!

I will break ceramic filters, crystals, big DIP ICs, big diodes, MOSFETs etc because I never tried with them before. :)

UPDATE: Till the date of 2016, I broke a big 32 pin RAM chip but inside got a tiny piece of chip like a small rice. I broke a ceramic filter and got some pieces inside, looked like a small toy instead of a electronics part. I broke condenser Mic capsules and got some nice JFETs and voice detecting element. I broke TO-92 too, and got three legs and a small ball inside like a ball point pen have. I broke LEDs but never can get its chip. Because when I break its package, all the thing inside got broken. I broke Li-ion battery and got a meter long metal ribbon.

At last: I am not an Evil of the electronics, all the parts broken by was damaged already. I love parts maybe more than necessary so I am still keeping some leg (lead) broken transistors, mosfets, even ICs and many damaged transistors. Actually it looks so sweet! So it does not matter that it's damaged or alive. :)
Phew......

Last edited:
I think Pride is very important too, im new to electronics but i have a history with mechanics, and for me its alot about pride, if i did something that didnt look quite right or sound good i wouldnt let it out, maybe it would take a bit longer but it wont come back there are a lot of people who think because it does the job its ok but not always, thats something qualifications cant teach but passion can

Regards

Now I got my Masters in Embedded Systems!! :D

Good for you. I just seen this I was not into the TV night with the wife before christmas. As I have aged I have OJT'd many position and held some titles. But in the end; it's an endless search for happiness doing the things you enjoy.

One such scholar suggests it's all in the pursuit of knowledge; obtaining it alters the pursuit. Thereto-and for lay the meaning of life.

Merry Christmas ETO.

kv

I am Masters in Computer IT and I completed my education in golden days because I studied continuously. I want to say all the people to study with heart and in your young age.

I am Masters in Computer IT and I completed my education in golden days because I studied continuously. I want to say all the people to study with heart and in your young age.
Learning is a continuous process. I want to know why you said learn at young age. Isn't it possible for older to study?

After 40 yrs of bleeding edge electronics I've can honestly say I have forgotten 99% of what was taught to me in University, and 99% I had to learn on my own. But the learning process and the 1% was critical with my motivation. With the help of this forum I am remembering some small portions of my designs, often the little details Profs dont know that are essential to making things work.

My son in law is a PhD in EE U of T and he is very good, and did his sabatical at Siemens in Germany but lacks the same real world experience of end-to-end development and learning every job from QA to Purchasing to Production Control to Process Controls all related to Electronics and getting a product to market on time at the right price and right reliability.

It might even be 99.99% that I have forgotten. But I love it when someone triggers a memory. I got a million of them.

Last edited:
Multiple languages are best done at a really early age. I know, if I had kids, I would teach them to be ambidexterous. Which means practicing penmanship using both hands at a young age. I'm still right hand dominant, but I can write forward, backwards and mirror image using my left and my right hands. I also have little trouble reading upside down.

When someone left-landed sits next to me at a restauraunt, instead of bumping elbows, I just become left-handed. No big deal.

Chopstix using the left or right-hand - again no big deal. It's a right-hand world out there. So, I'd rather teach someone to use scissors designed for the right hand.

You have to practice. when I was bored in class, I used to practice. It just would have been a whole lot easier say learning the words for objects in two languages when I was very young.

I just use the hand that's most convenient. In reality, my parents changed my dominant hand. I used to pick stuff up with my left and they would make me pick it up with my right. Later, I trained myself to use both.

My wife speaks 4 languages my brother 12 and 6 fluent enough for journalism, I cant handle more than 1. Although I still remember a little Latin from Grade VII .. Vicci, Vidi Vene,, I conquered, I saw, I came... oh yah and Forth the only language I know without for loops

and stay alive in process :)

and as for future, i might educate myself bit more in ict/comnnucations course, shouldn't take more than year now that i have EE's papers. probadly lots of learn-in-work, or what is it in english, where you go to local ''shops'' and learn by doing as work.
Intern or Co-op ?

I remembered my childhood too. I also broke lots of components to see that what is the thing inside the package.

. :)

My Dad got me started with a Pickel Jar AM tuner and crystal earbud.. batteries not required. at age 9

Then I started fixing Kettles with Lead acid solder ( ohoh) didnt last fortunately
then AM transmitters tuned to bug the girls listening on AM radios in tents at Y camp
Then learnt chemistry de-icing an old fridge and tried to repair the freon leak and discovered Hydroflouric acid.
After high school my Dad transferred his MGB so one was either rich or went to the library to take out Chilton's etc to repair everything including the kitchen sink and hydraulic knee dampers.
Before graduating I read every Electronics Design Magazine published in our EE library.

I could even break TTL with ESD in '75 that was Mil-Std 883B certified... known to be much more robust than CMOS, but it was a dry winter in Winnipeg.

I have learnt so much from breaking things and then fixing them or understanding why it failed down to the micro level.

I still break things like the toilet replacement float, that is a poor excuse for a flip flop. leaky and gets stuck until I improved it. Now it is variable Litre flush, instant economy consumption, high slew rate, just like a good CMOS flip flop monostable all regulated with the input one shot duration on the handle, but stretched out with latency all on levers, floats & hydraulics. (simpler than it sounds)

Last edited:
Then learnt chemistry de-icing an old fridge and tried to repair the freon leak and discovered Hydroflouric acid.

I don't like the sounds of that, since I used to have to work with concentrated HF. The training got a lot more rigorous than when I used it. Horriffic safety films. A drop on the skin could be deadly.

I don't like the sounds of that, since I used to have to work with concentrated HF. The training got a lot more rigorous than when I used it. Horriffic safety films. A drop on the skin could be deadly.

Freon + water & air = HF acid in old icebox fridges. Never touched it but also never fixed the leak as the Copper piped corroded too fast. I was 12 but knew enough not to touch it as it was eating copper. But learnt never use an ice pick near the coils. Use a kettle.

It was at our summer cottage.

A fan actually works better. Have a vintage, like 50's refrigerator that got it's inner door freezer mangled out of shape.

==
One of the ways used to repair the vinyl windows in the house involves cutting the other method is amazing. You heat up the frame and remove the gizmos in the track. Then you put a new one in and heat it. Its like the plastic has a memory function and goes back to the original shape. I got a demonstration at the factory (parts are free - labor isn't) and a piece to practice on. I don't know what kind of plastic it uses, but I don;t have a heat gun (YET!), but a Fein Multimaster would be quick enough. I finally used some of the bubble wrap that's metallic on both sides to fix the air leek in the freezer door, but a nice heat gun might be able to fix it.

I am certified for Automotive and possibly small appliance. That test was super simple. Did an AC install in a new 1982 Jap model cal in 1982 from a box of parts. Took about 14 hours before the evacuate/leak test step. I did not have a metric open end wrench until the next day for finish the install. A "metric adjustable wrench" would not work to tighten the belt. Then every 8 years, it would blow the same two hoses.

The tilt and lock design is basically broken because of wrong materials, but it takes a fair amount of effort to replace. I haven't done one yet, but watched a few times.
I did a few re-weatherstrip and that's also a fair amount of work. I have the fancy wind-up tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back