Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's your education level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found that the degree gets you in the door!!! Once you start your job, that's when you start learning..... A bit of magic smoke now and again and fingers burnt... NOW your an Electronic Engineer...
You say, everyone starts learning with hands on experience. Then why do people tend to have double degrees, post graduate, phds for that matter. Moreover, why is the preference given by the industry is for those with degrees/diplomas.

Pursuing a degree simply teaches you how to learn, and might (if you're lucky) give you some hands-on experience in the process. Once you earn the degree, it shows that you're ready to get a real job and start learning full-time.

Just the way I see it, anyway.

Matt

You say, everyone starts learning with hands on experience. Then why do people tend to have double degrees, post graduate, phds for that matter. Moreover, why is the preference given by the industry is for those with degrees/diplomas.

'Generally' the higher the qualification the more you can potentially earn.

My daughter has just finished her four year Masters Degree in Chemistry (where she got a First), and starts her PhD at the beginning of October - but as it's a funded Research PhD she actually gets paid while doing it :D

The 'pay' isn't a fortune (about the same as a Bank Teller) but as it's tax free it's not too shabby either :p

But at least it looks as if there's plenty of money and opportunity in Chemistry, so hopefully she should end up in a highly paid position eventually.

Incidentally, one of her friends from Uni was doing an Electronics Degree, and she hardly saw him over the last two years - his workload was so heavy. Eventually he jacked it all in, just a couple of weeks before his final exams :( I can only imagine he wasn't an Electronics Hobbyist (as most on here are), so started his degree with no previous knowledge, skills, or passion?.

The basic idea of formal technical education is to arm yourself with more powerful analytical tools, to expose yourself to varied subjects and to put yourself into a competitive environment where you have to work hard and keep pace with others, while meeting certain standards along the way. In principle, when you're done, you have more skills to apply to problem solving which will help you work with your hands better, or help others work with their hands and achieve the technical goals. Ultimately engineering and business involves actually doing something, not studying and writing papers. Also, in principle, the degree becomes a way for employers to understand what basic skills you have.

Now, a person can, in principle, do all this on their own without a formal education. But, it is difficult and it is difficult for an employer to understand such a person.

As an analogy, think about modern day Olympic athletes. There was a time when a gifted person could train in their back yard, and be competitive. Those days are gone. Now, talent and advance training techniques and experienced coaches, and all the best equipment is needed to compete. Likewise, a modern engineer needs the inborn talent, training, coaching, mentoring and a good environment to excel and do their best.

I like to use the example of my father who worked as an engineer, but only had a history degree, with a minor in physics. It's much harder (although not impossible) to do that now.

Another thing is that advanced degree work in engineering typically does involve hands on work with experiments and building of prototypes. This is not always true because there are engineers that specialize in theory and modeling and never touch anything real, but it is a mistake to assume that all, or even most, do that.

In a nutshell, a mediocre Ph.D. level engineer will often be able to do things that the most ingenious self taught person just can't do because he never learned a critical theoretical tool to apply. However, your point is well taken because sometimes an average self taught person can do things that an ingenious PH.D. level person can't do. - Humans are strange that way.

Last edited:
Pursuing a degree simply teaches you how to learn, and might (if you're lucky) give you some hands-on experience in the process. Once you earn the degree, it shows that you're ready to get a real job and start learning full-time.

Just the way I see it, anyway.

Matt

You hit the Nail on the Head Matt :D

That is what a Degree does. Teaches you analytical thinking. Invaluable in any Job situation. Teaches you the whole thought process to handle awkward stuff. And think it through properly.

Am I at least a little bit correct here Matt ;)

Long time no see Buddy

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
You hit the Nail on the Head Matt :D

That is what a Degree does. Teaches you analytical thinking. Invaluable in any Job situation.

Regards,
tvtech

hi tvtech...

Analytical thinking is important but without creative thinking its gets you nowhere..:D

Eric

hi tvtech...

Analytical thinking is important but without creative thinking its gets you nowhere..:D

Eric

Hi Eric

Good to see you again and active here ;)

I am stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place......No Degrees for me...but a wealth of experience. And nobody to really share it with....

CRT are mainly old news...@ least my Basics are up to speed as far as Electronics go. That is a good thing.

And Creative is important.......

All the best Eric

Regards,
tvtech

Haha, i am too more of these who DO stuff to learn over to dry theory....of course, theory is needed :)

Haha, i am too more of these who DO stuff to learn over to dry theory....of course, theory is needed :)

Hey Fez

You purchased some good stuff today ? ;) I wanna see it. On your Blog please.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
well sadly no actual purchases lately, but other findings and, should i say, ''gifts'' or saved-stuff-from-going-to-dumpster....couple of soldering irons, other is normal 80w and other for smd works, time will show when i need to touch smd stuff thought. And i believe i have some psu's and stuff which i havent even wrote in blog anything.

edit: however, i did add one kind of light organ which i made recently, if you want to check that out :)

well sadly no actual purchases lately, but other findings and, should i say, ''gifts'' or saved-stuff-from-going-to-dumpster....couple of soldering irons, other is normal 80w and other for smd works, time will show when i need to touch smd stuff thought. And i believe i have some psu's and stuff which i havent even wrote in blog anything.

edit: however, i did add one kind of light organ which i made recently, if you want to check that out :)

Hows the job going ?

Regards,
tvtech

well sadly it was part-time only, week only, but i left good impression, and i'm in good standing in future :)

where is my reputation shown ?? another person also commented on the same thing that i got a good reputation after just 15 posts . i have no idea what this is all about ??:confused:

Looks like it is down to "Okay".. redeem yourself :)

Why did I get an email that pointed to that old post.. Does all "new post"-links direct to the first post that is new to me or do they link to the most recent post on the thread? I think they should point to the most recent post.. to the post that caused the email.

well i got same email to this thread, and it showed #134, instead of 133. seems it shows the most recent

well i got same email to this thread, and it showed #134, instead of 133. seems it shows the most recent

My email pointed to post #110.. I went back and clicked the link again in the same email and it pointed to your post #135. So the forum keeps track what is the most recent post you have read and directs you to that page.

hmm, interesting :)

small update as for my own education: at next weeks wednesday, i get my graduation papers for EE. And, i passed Electrical qualification 2 (S2) up to 1000 V electrical works with best points in our class. not bad year :)

Congratulations there fezder. I just concluded a 40+ year career in electrical engineering which looking back was really rewarding. May your future be bright and hold all you could want.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back