Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's this level shifting IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edeca

Can anybody tell me what the level shifting IC is in this schematic, or an equivalent so I can pick some up?

Datasheet (and original product).

It's not that I'm too cheap to buy, I might actually pick one up, but this looks like a small cheerful way to shift levels in my own circuits so being able to reproduce would be quite cool. I know that the correct way to do this is with a MAX232 (or equivalent), but if this works with modern serial ports then it should satisfy my requirements.

Bonus points if anybody can explain how it works. Obviously the TX/RX signal is tied to the base of the transistor which enables the switching, but I'm curious how it shifts the levels. I am assuming the resistor between base and collector has a lot to do with it.

RS-In swings to a voltage below ground; this charges C1 to that negative voltage (minus one diode drop), creating a negative power supply.

RS-In, when move than about +1V turns on the inverter, causing a low to be output at Tx.

RS-In, when below about 1V turns off the inverter, allowing R1 to pull Tx high.

Rx, when near Vcc, turns off the other inverter, causing RS-Out to be pulled down to the voltage stored in C1 (see above).

Rx, when near ground, turns on the other inverter, causing RS-Out to be pulled to near Vcc.

Awesome explanation, thanks! Now does anybody know a part number? :)

My favourite level translator:

Attachments

• EDN JFET Level Translator.png
    EDN JFET Level Translator.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 181
All above are useful tools, but if you need high speed in circuit level translation something like the TXB0104 from TI is a good part (great for SPI buses in systems with multiple logic levels).

Thanks for all the part numbers. The DS275 looks like a nice part, so either that or a MAX232A will probably do. I guess it is best to do it "properly", perhaps I'll go with the DS275 for the lower pinout.

I found this whilst searching, maybe it would be better. Only $230 for a board with a MAX232 and a DB9 connector :eek:

**broken link removed**

To do it on the cheap, use two 2n3904 NPN transistors and four resistors in place of the dual inverter ic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back