Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

whats the difference??

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a difference between a pic and a picaxe or is it an abbreviation?

hi
A PIC is an unprogrammed device, Picaxe is preprogrammed with Interpreter operating firmware, so the user writes his programs in Picaxe Basic.

Link: https://www.picaxe.com/

Last edited:
so a pic and a picaxe microcontroller will work the same way just picaxe is written in basic and pic is written in another language like c??

so a pic and a picaxe microcontroller will work the same way just picaxe is written in basic and pic is written in another language like c??

hi,
Yes, a Pixaxe is a programmed PIC that you have to use Picaxe Basic to write its programs, which are then loaded into the PIC by the user.

A PIC is an unprogrammed IC, which the user has to write programs in C-compiler or Assembler, the hex files are then programmed into the PIC by the user.

EDIT: when you buy the Picaxe IC , it has already been programmed with their Picaxe interpreter

Last edited:
i knew about it already being loaded ready for programming i was just confused between a pic and a picaxe but now you have helped thank you very much

i knew about it already being loaded ready for programming i was just confused between a pic and a picaxe but now you have helped thank you very much

hi J,
Go to their site link in my post #2.

Picaxe interpreter is also known as a boot strap. A small program that runs at power up.

Picaxe interpreter is also known as a boot strap. A small program that runs at power up.

I think the small bit is an understatement, the picaxe interpreter takes a BIG chunk out of the pic and leaves a bit for the user. Also the speed is throttled right back and when a user wants to upgrade to the real world one will have to start from scratch.....

Also a BOOTLOADER is known as a boot strap from what I have learnt and yes it is only a small program

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back