Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the difference between a 8-Dip and a 8-SOIC package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. So 8-Dip I can use with experimental bread boards? And the SMD is meant for surface mounting on circuit boards?

Yes

Attachments

• dip.GIF
    dip.GIF
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,414
lol Sorry. One more quick question rrrrr. OK I'm ordering an LM308 Op Amp IC. They have them in the 8-Dip packages but their sold out of them and digi-key says their obsolete, but they also carry one with a TO-99 package that costs 3 dollars more. I did a search but I can't find what a TO-99 package looks like or whats so special about them.

Thanks again.

TO99 is a "military" or metal can package with 8 or 10 pins.

Attachments

• TO99.JPG
    TO99.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,634
Is there any place to go in order to see examples of different types of packages? I hate searching on Digikey and not knowing exactly what packages I want because I don't know what 85% of them are.

Old Parts

Though the LM308 opamp in the 8pin dip has been obsoleted, there are other op-amps that have been designated as it's replacement such as the tl081/a etc. Have a look around on some of the big electronic manufacturers website and look around, or simpler yet do a google search for:

LM308 replacement

and it should spit out some alternatives.

Insta-Link to the search (if it works...)

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=LM308+replacement&meta=

Resc.

To find the data sheet from the digi-Key website, once you find the part, click on the part number, then down where it says catalog/datasheet, click on the part number again, then click on the datasheet

Russlk said:
To find the data sheet from the digi-Key website, once you find the part, click on the part number, then down where it says catalog/datasheet, click on the part number again, then click on the datasheet

Thanks for the links Chris, pretty much exactly what I wanted :) I searched google for variations of "semiconductor packages" and "ic packages", looks like I should have used outlines instead of packages. As for digikey, I found using their links cumbersome. Basically I had to narrow down their search to a package I wasn't sure what it was before I could tell if it was what I wanted or not.

I think I'll make extensive use of those pages until I become more familiar with them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back