Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of inverter do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Django Fawkes

Hi, not sure if this is in the correct forum, so if mods move or delete, i'll understand, but here goes:

I plan to buy **broken link removed**

and use without plugging directly into mains, but plugged into an inverter which linked to a car battery. As it is pricey for me, I need to be sure what type of inverter I require for either a 12 or 24v battery (preferably 12v) and whether the speaker is suitable to use with this setup. The speaker itself has a power supply which converts mains supply to 48 volts.

here is the specs:
Wattage 100 watts maximum
Input 100V - 240V ~ 50/60 Hz
Output 48V DC @ 2.08 Amps

My thoughts is if I connect the AC 240v to 48v DC power supply to the inverter and the inverter to the battery, it should be ok.

On a further note, it is likely to be an american plug, so I will need an international adapter, making it:

car battery-->inverter-->international adapter-->AC 240v to 48v DC power supply-->speaker

Two questions then, first, what type of inverter do I need, say out of this list:
https://www.maplin.co.uk/search?criteria=inverter

And is it guaranteed safe and won't destroy the speaker?

Without testing the speaker there's no way to say for sure, the power filtering of the inverter/adapter/AC-DC adapter may not be able to filter out the harmonics of a typical inverter which are usually modified sine wave which can contain a number of higher frequency harmonics which could be heard in through the speaker.

For the sake of derating sanely I would say purchase an inverter that can handle twice the wattage you need (RMS NOT peak)

If you want something that is sure to produce the best quality you need a true sine wave inverter, and that will NOT be cheap (or even typically easy to find)

Watch your grounding it will be important for good output.

Last edited:
Sounds like you just need a common 12 volt DC to 48 volt DC boost converter like one of these.

**broken link removed**) Around $43.

You can handle working with 4 wires cant you?

Last edited:
Why don't you use a boost converter and go directly from the 12 battery to 48 volts?

Without testing the speaker there's no way to say for sure, the power filtering of the inverter/adapter/AC-DC adapter may not be able to filter out the harmonics of a typical inverter which are usually modified sine wave which can contain a number of higher frequency harmonics which could be heard in through the speaker.

For the sake of derating sanely I would say purchase an inverter that can handle twice the wattage you need (RMS NOT peak)

If you want something that is sure to produce the best quality you need a true sine wave inverter, and that will NOT be cheap (or even typically easy to find)

Watch your grounding it will be important for good output.

Alright, thanks for your advice, I just needed to be sure that it wouldn't damage the speaker really.

Sounds like you just need a common 12 volt DC to 48 volt DC boost converter like one of these.

**broken link removed**) Around $43.

You can handle working with 4 wires cant you?

Why don't you use a boost converter and go directly from the 12 battery to 48 volts?

The reason for that is because the speaker is £300 and I do not wish to take the amplifier out of the enclosure. I am not technically skilled enough to go probing about with merch at that price.
I was aware it was an option but ruled it out because of safety.
Thanks for your advice nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back