Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What should i use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoop_987

Hi, new here and don't know if this is the right place (I assume so as its a question about a circuit im wanting to make)

What i want to do is make "Follow me" lights on my car. I know what to do to get it to work, just can't seem to figure out one part.

What I've got just now in my head is, Use the central locking unlock wire to trigger some form of either IC (Arduino or the such) or use some form of less complex logic gates (This is just a short "burst" of power, no longer than half a second so my guess is logic gates wont work).

To add to the complexity of the design, When the ignition is on OR the lock wire has power passing (Again, the lock wire is just a short burst, but the ignition is constant) to cut out the lights. I have a funny feeling I'm going to have to learn how to program an arduino though.

So is it viable to try and figure out what logic gates and the such to use or just use an ardiuno/mbed/whatever?

So what are "Follow me" lights and how do they work?

I don't know, its just what everyone over at AOC calls them (AOC being astra owners club) and i presumed that its just a generic term.

EDIT:
Rather than edit my above post, when the car is unlocked, the headlights and tail lights come on.

Last edited:
"Follow me" cars are commonly used on airports where the pilot is not familiar with ground installations like parking lots.

They usually drive up in front of the plane and turn on their yellow flashing light. Thereafter they lead the airplane to the designated parking lot.

Where's the problem?

Boncuk

Sounds like they should be called "here I am!" lights. Lose you car in the parking lot at a big-box-store...press you key-fob...the lights blink on and off...Follow Me! to your car. ;)

Ken

Last edited:
Sounds like they should be called "here I am!" lights. Lose you car in the parking lot at a big-box-store...press you key-fob...the lights blink on and off...Follow Me! to your car. ;)

Ken

My Cheap Toyota Corolla came with that built-in from the factory. Don't all cars built in the last ~10years do that???

You're right, they should be fitted as standard, but mine aren't although (and only noticed this since car is in bodyshop) that when unlocked the rear number plate lights come on. Might use that to power a relay, which then powers on the headlights. Easier than having to find the lock and unlock wires, programming a PIC and running alot of wires.

My Cheap Toyota Corolla came with that built-in from the factory. Don't all cars built in the last ~10years do that???

Depends. My Focus still requires an old-fashoned key to unlock the door. No fancy remote, lights, beeps or whistles.

PS, logic gates or uC will work fine. If I had better understanding of your requirements, I'd show a simple logic design. Others wil say it must use a uC, but they rarely provide code.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back