Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Pic Can I Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelobenza

I Want To Buy A Pic That Would Program An Lcd That Would Blink Swapping Two Colors. It Has An Input Signal Of Binary 1 And 0 For The Corresponding Colors. 1 Binary Is Green And 0 Binary Is Orange.

I will use a graphical LCD maybe a a 16X 2 or higher. Thanks for the reply. 2 line and 16 width character maybe or higher.

16x2 LCDs are character displays (Alpha) plus a programmable font for up to 8 custom characters. There are many ways to drive the display the easiest is a PIC with enough I/O (13 eight bit full control) or (6 four bit write only)

someone advice me to use the PIC16f84.is it useful? as i look its datasheet, the pin for the out and in is not too many.

someone advice me to use the PIC16f84.is it useful? as i look its datasheet, the pin for the out and in is not too many.
Pin count is neither good or bad. You just pick the PIC with enough (and maybe a few more) to handle the job at hand.

As Bill indicated how many pins you need depends on how you interface the LCD to the PIC, and what else you need pins for.

But if you are new to PIC I suggest you read and work through Nigels tutorials from the start. Jumping into the middle does not make sense. To remain sane I suggest you use the exact PIC Nigel uses.

3v0

The PIC16F84 is almost an obsolete part. In the 18 pin parts, my favorite is the PIC16F88.

For the 8 pinners, i use the PIC12F683 (pleeeease, FORGET the PIC12C508, (OTP or UV erasable EPROM with ONLY 2 level stack !!!! )) F683 has 8 level stack...

...For the 28 pins, i use the PIC18F2685,

And for the 40 pins, i suggest the PIC18F4685. I never used it, but it is in the same family as the 2685 which i used a lot.

The 2685 and 4685 are particularly well suited for C code.

All four F88, F683 F2685 and F4685 use enhanced Flash technology that is much more robust than older flash technology used in the older F84, F876 and F877. Furthermore, they all have internal RC oscillators that are well suited for REAL MINIMUM part projects that do not need precise timing.

To program my PICs, i use the PICkit 2 programmer from Microchip. USB driven and very compact, they well worth their price !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back