Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Kind of Switch Do I Need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gink

I'm putting together some USB powered LED strip lighting, and want to have a switch to turn it off and on. Of course, I decided it would be cool if it had different light settings. Essentially a strip of 15 LEDs, and a switch that would turn 5, 10, or all 15 on. Basically it would be 2 circuits, one for 5 LEDs and one for 10 LEDS, so I need a switch with positions to turn on circuit 1 (5LED), circuit 2 (10LED), and both circuits 1 and 2 for all 15 LEDs.

I still get confused by poles and throws. It would be cool if I could find a push button switch that would work, but am thinking a rotary switch may be the only type that will do what I want, but still am having trouble figuring out what kind of switch would work. Double Pole Triple Throw? I don't know. Any help getting me straightened out would be appreciated.

It could be done with a single pole triple throw switch and two diodes. The diodes need to go from the 15LED position to each string (one diode to each), otherwise powering one string would always power the other.

How good is your soldering?

If you want a pushbutton switch you could use the CD4017 and a few and diodes and MOSFETs,

EDIT:
I'll post a circuit if you like unless someone else beats me to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back