Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kind of LCD do you use with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some PIC16F1934. I noticed that they can be used with the segmented display designer tool in MPLAB. This seems like a powerful feature that I'd like to take advantage of, but I'm not sure what kind of LCD to get to use with this. It seems like most LCDs already come with a module installed.

Could some one just briefly explain what COM and SEG means? I've noticed ports labeled as such on LCD themselves as well as on pins on the 16F1934. The 1934 has only 4 COM ports and 16 SEG pins, so it doesn't seem like it could do much in terms of driving an LCD. Is this the case?

Datasheet below.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/11/41364D.pdf

These are just glass LCDs. Digikey sells them and the tend to be either seven segment or 14 segment types (not dot matrix). Depending on how many I/O pins are available on the PIC will determine the total number of segments (24x4 on the 1934) or 96 segments (12 seven segment digits with dp)

Keep in mind the mux types have lower contrast than the non mux units. A 2.5 digit seven segment display would be direct drive and require at least one pin per segment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I searched for "glass LCD" on digikey and came up with some stuff labeled "chip on glass" (with no prices listed). Link below:
**broken link removed**

Is that what I'm looking for?

What do the COM pins actually do?

Thanks for the correction on 24 SEG pins-- I was looking at the 1933 when I saw 16. What does this actually mean for me. Say I have 24 x 4 = 96. Does that I mean I can have 96 different letters on there? Does it mean there are 96 individual pixels on there?

Where can I read up on this kind of thing outside of the datasheet and Microchip's app notes?

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back