Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is THIS PART?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemelec

Appears to be a Variable Spark Gap?
Thumb Screw Adjusts Gap.
Part Number: JAN-CBNQ followed by 6322
Other Numbers Printed on it are: 32 and 6004.
Made by BOMAC in the USA.

JAN-CBNQ  6322-Bomac.JPG

Looks like a Cobalt acted diode for power RF Tx/Rx switch for Joint Army Navy specs.

This guy has 3x pc's. 6322
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Lamp or rectifier is my guess.

dr pepper.................... It is NOT a Lamp or Rectifier.
Tony Stewart.................... Unfortunately He Does Not give a Description.
It Does NOT act as a Diode.
Obviously the Top is for a High Voltage Connector.
And You Hold the Knob on the Bottom, So it Must need to Connect to Ground.

This Part is OVER 50 Years OLD.
I Bought it at a Surplus Store, Back in the 1960's

The Middle part of this just below the writing has Two Flat Tipped POINTS inside a Sealed Container with a fixed Diaphragm on the upper side and a Flexible Diaphragm on the lower side.
The Knob at the Bottom Pulls on this Lower Diaphragm to Pull the Lower POINT up or down, to create a Gap Between these Two Flat Tipped Points.

The Inside of this Sealed Portion Has Either a VACUUM or an INERT GAS.

This Gap can be PRECISLY Adjusted Between Zero and Maybe up to 3 or 4 mm Maximum with 10 Turns of the Knob.

Gap-1.JPG

THANKS GUYS, But I Just Found this Info:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

United States of America (USA)
Brand: Bomac Laboratories Inc., Beverly, Mass.
Tube type: TR-switch
Identical to 6322 = BL-25
Filament
Description

TR tube, 1285MHz, 450KW. Disc connections to the external cavity, top cap keep alive electrode. Adjustable gap. Also known as BL25.

Tube prices 0 Tube prices (visible for members only)
Literature Tube Lore, Sibley, USA 1996

**broken link removed**

6322: Private collection
Emilio Ciardiello

Must have been used as a Radar diplexor.

Never seen those, probadly because I'm that young, but everyday something new, like this! :)

Last edited:
Just saw this thread.

"Duplexers" were (are) located in a side wave guide in a radar system that fed the return reflection (echo) to the rcvr,

Its purpose was to represent a short across the return wave guide during transmission periods, thus isolating the rcvr from the, relatively, massive surge of the transmission signal in high powered radar systems. The two brass rings were securely mounted to the long dimension of the wave guide walls.

The thumb knob allowed for tuning the gap dimension to the frequency of the radar system.

They also (at least in the systems I worked on) had a "keep-alive" high voltage DC (400V and up) potential on the cap to bias the gap so as to allow faster response times (pre-ionized, if you will).

I agree with a Radar Diplexor as a potential app. Analogous to a pin diode but with high V and resonant cavity tuning switching.

I agree with a Radar Diplexor as a potential app.

A minor point, perhaps, but...

From this site (published in association with the IEEE): https://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/duplexers

"A duplexer is the network that permits a transmitter and receiver to use the same antenna, at or very near the same frequency. This is used in **broken link removed**, where the returned signal is going to be very close to the transmitted frequency, such is the case in a **broken link removed**. In a diplexer, the signals have to be offset in frequency by an appreciable percentage so the filters can do their job sorting them out. Diplexers are used in communications, not radar." (My emphasis).

Even "duplexer" is a bit of a stretch as a description for a T/R module, as shown, since all it does is short to ground the transmitted pulse energy that finds its way into the rcvr trunk of the wave guide that feeds the antenna, while allowing the echo free passage to the rcvr.

Yes sorry, my bad, I always confuse the two (Duplexor/Diplexor). Been awhile since I used that sort of stuff. I was a radar tech in the Navy but that was back in the 80's.

Agreed, perhaps diode was being too symbolic when I meant RF switch

it looks like an interesting tube tho.

The physics behind plasma is fascinating and resonant arcs goes beyond what Faraday discovered which was that the ESR of the negative resistance reduces as the current increases. This is also true for static ; big ( lightning ) & small (ESD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back