Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this part, is it just a normal capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn t

Hi,
thankyou for letting me join this forum.
I am looking for a replacement for this component, I believe its a capacitor of sorts, not sure whether if it's a standard capacitor or not. It's fitted to a pro tech P1. 2 turntable, quite old 1990's which is powered by 240v. Its part of the power supply circuit. See pictures.
Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Martyn Topham

Attachments

• IMG_20230216_125238.jpg
    IMG_20230216_125238.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20230215_155804.jpg
    IMG_20230215_155804.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 146
Hi,
thankyou for your reply, yes the black wires do go to a switch, I am looking to go the 240v motor route in another turntable that I have, which was a 16v turn table which needed a separate external power supply, but the motor has stopped working. I can get both replacement motors 16v and 240v, but im thinking it will be easier to go the 240v route if I can get replacement capacitors. The one in the picture is old and I've not been able to find the same, so im wondering if I can use capacitors of the same rating from else ware.
What do you think?
Thanks
Martyn Topham

It's a "Class Y" suppression capacitor.

2700pF (2.7nF) is not a common value but a 2n2 or 3n3 etc. would be just as good.

Most electrical suppliers should have them, or they are readily available on ebay etc.

eg.

It's not a 'functional' component, and the turntable will work perfectly well without it - it's just there to filter out some of the possible high frequency noise coming down the mains. However, in the UK the mains is exceptionally good anyway, but even in countries with poor mains you won't tell any difference if it's fitted or not.

Hi
The 16v motor I have is a fixed speed type 300rpm and uses a 2 tier pulley small for 33 and large for 45 as far as I'm aware the 240v motor is the same
DC motors often have a screwdriver adjustment hole in the bottom of them, but as long as the speed is set to the same as the AC motor, then you should be OK - it would have been more of a concern if there was an external speed adjustment - or even worse, an electronic speed selector, rather than a mechanical one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back