Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PAC Mafia

Hello,

I was thinking this component was a capacitor but when I measure with LCR it recognizes as a resistor with very low value as a short (it´s not damaged because I measure different ones with same behavieur). Anybody knows what is it?

Attachments

• 20180418_131201_resized.jpg
    20180418_131201_resized.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 181
Thanks, it´s exactly the same looking. The strange thing is why LCR in automatic mode doesn´t recognize it as an inductor.

Sometimes those auto-sensing devices get cornfused. Put the meter in inductor mode and see what it reads.

Cap's can look like that too
tantalum-SMD-1-300.jpg
If you look closely at the image in the OP you'll see that they do not quite look like tantalum caps. I think an inductor would be the best bet.

Well I see that after saving it opening it up and zooming it. It's missing a line on one side tantalum caps have.
But i never seen a inductors with 272k there all like have a R in there or just 274 or 1R27l or 6R8 stuff like that, I'd check it as a cap too.

By the look; it is non polar. That leaves out many parts. If you have many of these parts I would say break it and look inside.
(inside there is a piece of paper "inductor you fool". ;) )

Take it out of circuit. Then use that auto-sensing meter you have and put it in manual mode. Select inductance and measure it. Select capacitance and measure it. Select resistance and measure it. Which measurement makes the most sense? If in doubt, post the measurements here.

Here's the way to test.
Notice, no-one in the forum has offered this advice before.

Get a known inductor of almost any value, but try to keep the value similar to the one being investigated.
Measure the inductance. Now put the two in series and you will get an increased value. The difference is the value of the unknown inductor.

Here's the way to test.
Notice, no-one in the forum has offered this advice before.

Get a known inductor of almost any value, but try to keep the value similar to the one being investigated.
Measure the inductance. Now put the two in series and you will get an increased value. The difference is the value of the unknown inductor.
Nobody has "offered this advice before" because it remains unconfirmed whether or not the device is indeed even an inductor.

Nobody has "offered this advice before" because it remains unconfirmed whether or not the device is indeed even an inductor.

That's the very thing you will determine if the inductance increases by "27,"

That's the very thing you will determine if the inductance increases by "27,"
I think the smart move would first be to measure the inductance of just this one device. If it shows up as 2.7uH then the job is done.

If it shows up as 2.7uH then the job is done.
TRUE!
Some meters don't measure uH very well. You might try measuring uH with the probes shorted together. You might have 3.3uH or more with no part connected. Also, with a good meter, and the leads calibrated out, I might be happy with a reading of 2.0uH to 3.5uH.

TRUE!
Some meters don't measure uH very well. You might try measuring uH with the probes shorted together. You might have 3.3uH or more with no part connected. Also, with a good meter, and the leads calibrated out, I might be happy with a reading of 2.0uH to 3.5uH.
Good point, I've had this very issue.

Kind of funny know one pointed out how to test it.
I kind of figure the OP to smart enough to know that and how to do it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back