Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the value of these bridge rectifiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I can not find a datasheet of any of these bridge rectifiers. I did find information that said MDA 952-5 is 400v 200a but I find it hard to believe this tiny thing is rated 80KW

Part numbers are.

MDA 990-4 bridge rectifier

MDA 962-5 bridge rectifier

MDA 952-5 bridge rectifier

There is some variability among manuracturers and cross-reference tables. Here are representative numbers. For all cevices, the -5 suffix indicates a 400 V PIV rating.

MDA962 = 10 A continuous, 300 A 1-cycle surge.

MDA952 = 6 A continuous, 125 A single-cycle surge.

MDA90 = 30 A continuous, 300 A single-cycle surge.

ak

The 300A is for one cycle then you must stop and let it cool off. At 300A the diode will die in 20mS

Last edited:
but I find it hard to believe this tiny thing is rated 80KW
the voltage spec is for inverse (i.e. when the diode is not conducting) and the current is the maximum current in the forward direction. with forward conduction, the drop across the diode is only 0.7V, so, for instance the MDA-962 at 10A would only dissipate 7 watts (actually 14 watts, since you have two forward biased diodes at a time in a bridge rectifier.

with forward conduction, the drop across the diode is only 0.7V, so, for instance the MDA-962 at 10A would only dissipate 7 watts (actually 14 watts, since you have two forward biased diodes at a time in a bridge rectifier.
The forward voltage is listed as 1.2 V at 12.5 A, 71% greater than 0.7 V. The full-wave power dissipation at 10 A would be close to 24 W.

ak

The full-wave power dissipation at 10 A would be close to 24 W.
that's still a manageable amount of heat.... nowhere near 80kW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back