Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the different betweens PIC family

Status
Not open for further replies.
PIC Differences

Many of the PICs have similar naming schemes:
16F84 is the flash version - you can program and reprogram it
16C84 is the OTP - one time programmable - unless you feel like buying alot of these, steer clear

16F84A - a new (sort of) revision of the 16F84 - speed up to 20Mhz.

16LF84 - the L is low voltage - some of these things will run down at 2V!! (at 4 mhz)

the F84 is pretty out-dated. The 16F628 is cheaper, same number of pins, and I think it has more I/O but I'd have to double check. The 16F628 has a heck of a lot more hardward on board too!

Many programmers are still incompatible with the 'A' (ie 16F877A) revision of PICs. Check your programmer and software to see what PICs are supported.

IMHO the 16F628, 16F873A, and 16F877A are the core PICs for hobbyists. The 628 is great to learn on and the 873A and 877A have fun things like a large number of IO lines and A/D converters.

Re: PIC Differences

SparkFun said:
Many of the PICs have similar naming schemes:
16F84 is the flash version - you can program and reprogram it
16C84 is the OTP - one time programmable - unless you feel like buying alot of these, steer clear

Wrong!!The C84 is still flash...but outdated by the F84 and the F84A

Re: PIC Differences

.[/quote]Wrong!!The C84 is still flash...but outdated by the F84 and the F84A[/quote]

Wrong again!!! the 84 series PICs were never flash PICs in the first place

Yes correct!
16C84 had 1k x 14 words EEPROM memory and thats different from FLASH.

oh

My question seems tobe useful ...hihihi.. Thanks indeed......

I have one more question rite here..

Do you know any programmer that we can build ourselves with ease, but suitable for many kinds of PIC? I know one but it's only use for F family.

And do you know which PIC can drive stepping motor 24VDC and upto 500mA?

I think, almost sure, any F PIC programmer will program C PICs too, because the change is their internal memory, not the voltages on the pins to program them. I recommend you the TE 20-SE. It can program 8, 18 , 28 pin PICs and serial EEPROM memories (8 pin)

Two answers for your question about the PIC controlling that motor.

1) There is no PIC capable to give 24V, simply because you won't supply them with more than 7V. So, there's no PIC that can control that motor. :(

2) But PICs (any PIC) are capable to give 5V in any of their port pins. You can simply use a MAX293 to get more power, or maybe you can connect the pin to a transistor and then to a relay. So, every PIC can control that motor. :wink:

Maxim www.maxim-ic.com gives away specs for programming a pic.
unlike GAL or PAL manufacturers. Years ago, I built my own programmer for a PIC 16F84 at the PC's parallel port. Nowadays, with w1ndow$ you'll likely have to use the serial port, but this might work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back