Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is RG-6 & RG-11 coax cable connector hole diameter dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Baluns are power passing. Some block DC. Splitters sometimes have one of the ports power passing. Meaning, they are used to pass power to the mast mounted amplifier over the coax.

I have several T splitters some work better than others. I tested them all 1 by 1 on every TV station, field strength meter. 1 T splitter is 97 on most channels. Color is amazing excellent & picture crystal clear. Very strong signal all the time.

I get a range of different signal strengths with the different T splitters so I removed the back cover of the 1 that works best it has 2 capacitors inside. My meter says capacitors are 2pf each. This T splitter works just as well at the A - B switch with the advantage of having both antennas connected to the TV all the time.

100_9192.JPG

Last edited:
Well you need to give some credit to him, at least he isn't powering it with heavy duty batteries.

Speaking of batteries. Eveready 9v battery is $9 at grocery store. Duracell 9v battery is $10 at grocery store. Same batteries at Walgreens are $12 & $13. Dollar Tree has 9v batteries $1. Also 2 rechargeable 9v Lithium Batteries with BATTERY CHARGER & FREE shipping $13 on EBAY. GUESS which one will be in our mail box in a few days?

Well that must be the crappiest splitter in the history of the world :D

Mind you, I suppose it could just have wire instead of the useless capacitors?.

If you were to build your own T splitter & balun what will your circuits be ?

Last edited:
A basic passive three-port 75 Ohm splitter/combiner uses three 25 Ohm resistors in a "Y" configuration, if I remember correctly.

Ferrite transformer ones can be lower loss, but I cannot remember the details for those.

And is a balun - what's the relevance of that?.

I have everything to build that balun. But my antenna is working excellent so I don't actually need to make a balun but I want to just to test it and see how well it works compared to a factory made balun. The only ferrite toride I have is 5 times larger than factory made baluns I wonder how that will effect performance of the balun. I know I have small twin lead wire somewhere but not found it yet that will make this project easier to build.

And if you salvaged them from something you don't know if they would even be the correct ferrite material.

If I order new ferrite I still don't know if it is the correct ferrite material. Do YOU have a ferrite tester so I can test factory balun ferrite to see what it is? Do you have a ferrite tester circuit drawing that I can build?

I tried to make 3 baluns so far I think the smallest one with enamel coated copper wire is the winner, wires need to be ohmed to figure out which wire is which.

It is below freezing in the work shop this plastic coated wire is so stiff it almost refuses to bend & when I let go of the wire it gets straight again. Plastic wire needs to boil in a pan of water so it will be soft enough to bend.

Work shop has no insulation the 1500 watt electric heater will not heat it when it is this cold.

100_9209.JPG

100_9210.JPG

100_9211.JPG

Last edited:
If I order new ferrite I still don't know if it is the correct ferrite material.

Your the one doing this, there is a ton of information on the sites that sell cores, use it and the frequencies your working with to find the material.

Your the one doing this, there is a ton of information on the sites that sell cores, use it and the frequencies your working with to find the material.

Google online search. I have no clue what the answers are to any of the fill in the blank questions? I have no clue what the questions mean? TV real channel 60 is 750 MHz. I know balun is 2 turns for each of the 4 wires, does that = 8 turns?

Last edited:
Looks like 3 bi-filar turns. 2 full and two 1/2 turns based on your diagram.
Bi-filar Two wires together.

You have 4 windings.

If you were to build your own T splitter & balun what will your circuits be ?

A poor performing resistive splitter (as they are easy to make and work in all directions) - I wouldn't make a balun, we don't really use them much here as we don't use balanced cable (and aerials that need them have them built-in).

For 2 weeks I have been carrying a paper in my pocket that says, RG-6 coax. I still can not remember RG-6 without looking at paper. "DAMN" getting old "SUCKS"!!!

My rechargeable 9v batteries arrived. LDR meter & VOM are working good. 12°F in the work shop, ice on floor near door. Antenna works excellent, snow, sleet, fog, rain, no problem.

I still can not remember RG-6 without looking at paper. "DAMN" getting old "SUCKS"!!

I get RG-58 and RG-59 mixed up.
OK, 58 is an even number and so is 50 ohm
59 is an odd number and so is 75
I can figure it out now.

9x table. digits add up to 9. e.g. 5*9-45, 4+5=9; I had troble with 8 and 9 times table with 54, 56, 63, and 64. I with I knew that 50+ years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back