Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what blew the original diode, and how did it fail, ie shorted? burnt? cracked open? etc etc.

The regulator/rectifier that turns the alternator 45-60v AC to 13-14.5 DC failed, which in turn took out the tacho (30 Ohm resistor and zener).

I would love to find the fault, although i would have to purchase a power supply. Would you recommend any in particular that wont cost a fortune?

Even if it was the micro, how would i go about getting a replacement. I think someone already tried to look for the micro part and came up with nothing. Are there any alternatives i could use?

That's a nasty fault. If it is a 18v zener, and the alternator took out the 30 ohm resistor and 18 ohm zener it was probably exposed to 20+ volts at significant current, and the most likely part that may have been damaged after the zener is the micro.

If this is a valuable or collectable tacho you could contact one of the many speedo/gauge repairers and tell them the history. They may have a source for the chip or a small replacement module they can insert instead of the stock chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back