Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is going wrong - or have I attacked somebody unintentionally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

I visit the ETO forum regularly at least twice every day.

Every once in a while I have a simple question concerning parts (equivalent parts).

Whenever I ask in absolute silence with eight members online (nobody is busy to answer questions of newcomers) I get zero replies.

I can assure you that I neither suffer from pest nor from cholera and won't infect anybody.

I'll be satisfied with replies like "I don't know either." but there is absolutely no echo on my questions, which I consider ignorance.

If there is somebody disliking me refusing any answer please stand up like a man and tell me why!

Regards to all

Boncuk

hi Hans,
If you mean the Chat room, I always answer your questions and help whenever I can.:D

Often on Chat there are 6 or more members showing as being online, who have not taken the trouble to log out. So its a case of 'hello','hello', is there anyone there.? bit like holding a Seance... knock once for no, twice for yes.

Eric

Thanks for your reply Eric.

That's not exactly how I described the problem. Shortly after my question several members get 'alive' and chat with each other with me left forgotten.

I just wonder why?

Regards

Hans

I see that regularly as well... I enter chat to see if anyone wants help, but several members are "chatting" usually nothing to do with the forum, however I thought that's what it's for..
I don't think they are being rude, they are used to cross talk and ASSUME your conversing with someone else... Next time direct the question to someone ( I usually use their initials) and then you will get "dunno" or something similar.

Hi Ian,

according to the rules the chat room has been established for casual chatting.

Many members are using it as school class and want to learn about electronics from the beginning. Working as a "school teacher" has certainly nothing to do with casual chatting.

A short question about an equivalent part does not disturb much and might be answered in the time of an eye twinkle. Being ignored is another story.

Boncuk

Hi Hans

I have yet to enter chat. So really can't comment. I can say overall I enjoy you as a forum member though. Also if I ever were to get back to Thailand I would love to have a few beers with you. :)

Ron

Hi Hans

I have yet to enter chat. So really can't comment. I can say overall I enjoy you as a forum member though. Also if I ever were to get back to Thailand I would love to have a few beers with you. :)

Ron

Hi Ron,

I'd be delighted if you can make to Thailand some day.

We'll empty an entire brewery just drinking my favorite beer "Leo". :D

Thailand is not ruled the democratic way. It's ruled as a constitutional monarchy and people are generally happy. They love the king who is known to be generous to his people and wish him a long life.

Having wasted more than 50 years of my life in the Federal Republic of Germany I certainly know what I'm talking about. There is almost nothing not being regulated by laws or local authorities. (I wonder when ****-tax is being brought about in Germany. :mad:)

For example: I planned to build my dream house some day. It's simply impossible to do that in Germany. Authorities will tell you if the style fits the landscape and urge corrections for the overall appearance of the house after you have applied for a permission to build a house.

I built my house just the way I want it (in the middle of wooden and metal sheet houses) without having to apply for any permission. It's well elevated (3.5m of extra soil topped over the land) to withstand any flood during the rainy season.

That's what I call freedom! :)

There are not many laws restricting people's activities, but there are lots of unwritten laws which you should obey to.

Never force any Thai into a situation to make him loose his face. You risk to wake up in the morning with the head being chopped off with a machete.

Regards

Hans

I entered the chat room this morning -- my very first experience with a chat room. Tested a few of the controls and decided PM and open forum are more to my taste.

There are several of us in the Cleveland area and that the invitation is mutual. My retirement home (not quite a dream home) was built by someone else. It is in the middle of a county forest. The original builder had political connections. It is very quiet and isolated, and I can do pretty much what I want to do there. Here's a link to some pictures: **broken link removed**

BTW, I have tried to make Rohe Kloesse a few times since you sent the recipe. I am sure seeing the real thing would help.

John

HI John

Yes, hanging out here in the Cleveland, Ohio burbs. Bedford Heights, Ohio to be exact. A few years ago (actually 2007) we decided to rework most of the house we own. The Big Dig can be seen here.

In a few years I'll retire and we will be moving south but for now, this is home.

Ron

Thanks for your reply Eric.

That's not exactly how I described the problem. Shortly after my question several members get 'alive' and chat with each other with me left forgotten.

I just wonder why?

Regards

Hans

Chat serves two broad functions. Technical and social. In the past you have been upset when the technical side (teaching esp) was dominant when you wanted to be social. Now you are on the other end of the stick.

Based mainly of your input EM created tabs. By default the agenda in the lobby is fluid and often unfocused. Invite the people helping you to another tab and continue there without the social distraction.

If you can not get people to follow you to a tab then there is little possibility that you would have gotten a useful interaction in the lobby.

In a few years I'll retire and we will be moving south but for now, this is home.

Ron

That was quite a project. BTW, I like your web site.

As for South, any place North of the Ohio River is nice as far as I am concerned. ;) I used to live in Parma Heights, just off Pearl. There are a lot of advantages in terms of convenience to that location, but the freedom of being in the country outweights them, at least as long as I remain healthy. Getting a building permit in PH for an attached workshop proved to be impossible. That was a major factor in my decision to move. I don't think our building restrictions are as bad as Hans experienced in Germany, but we are closing that gap.

John

Hi Boncuk.

I don't believe you have offended anybody. You have been a huge help to many people, and I don't see how anybody could dislike you.

A lot of the time, as Eric mentioned, chat shows several people as online, but they really are not. They may come back in a little later and just miss your question. If I see a question, but don't know the answer, I often say "I don't know", unless there are other members who are trying to answer it themselves.

I'm sorry you feel this way, and I will try to be more careful :D

Best wishes,
Der Strom

If its any consolation I have came across that same situation in chat a number of times.

The lights are on but no ones home.

(Or maybe I am a jerk and everyone there stops what they are doing just to avoid me.):p

If its any consolation I have came across that same situation in chat a number of times.

The lights are on but no ones home.

(Or maybe I am a jerk and everyone there stops what they are doing just to avoid me.):p

Haha, same here. This problem is not unique to you.

Moderators can log inactive people off chat using kick. But they are prevented from logging back in for a short period of time. I just did that for 6 users after asking for a . if they were there.

We can do that more often but it would be easier if people would log off. I stay logged on so I can view problems that happen when I am not present. A moderation thing.

I am probably one of the culprits for not logging off, i log on and then put the chat box in the background so i can just follow along, then i go and do something else and leave it on.

hi hans. i hope i havnt ignored you!! your always seem willing to help me. my own experiance of the chat room and maybe how i miss some stuff that goes on is the PM thing in it, if i am talking through the pm i just seem to focus out all the other stuff so i probally miss alot of what else gets said. but then again mate isnt very likely i would be able to help anyway is it ;)
i do like the meeting room set up tho its handy for when there is too much cross talk to follow whats going on. it did take me a while to get used to the chat room and the speed conversation subjects can change, but personaly i like the teaching stuff when it goes on i seem to pick up all kinds of useful stuff when others are being taught. on the whole i think the balance tends to be about right or maybe i am just used to the way it is

Do not take that so seriously...

Yes Hans, I had the same feeling too, many times.

My experiences with chat rooms of ANY kind is just that. I had very good chats from time to time, including you and the ever present 3v0.

Inviting people to have an excuse to drink beer? Please go ahead. I will meet you later.

But if you happen to be around here, you are invited to a good espresso (my only vice).

ive been thinking about this some more, i hate the thought i could be seen as rude so i been thinking things through. i dont think anyone is intetionaly rude however there is a knowledge problem for the senior members that have the real knoweldeg. members like Hans and the handful of others that realy do supply indepth knowledge and help (i am sure we all know who theese are) are in a bit of a sticky wicket. the truth is if one of them has a problem or needs help it is normaly outside the scope of the rest of us. once you get to the top of the tree your generaly on your own.
i would love to help others but my limited knowledge is of little use to most people. so i guess when someone like hans asks a question people dont answer out of laziness etc but i do agree there should at least be some aknowledgment that the question was asked. and yes i am guilty of this rudeness on many occasion's i am ashamed to say. it would be worth us all making a effort to be curtious especialy to the posting machines that actualy supply useful accurate information and knowledge, or the rest of us plebs will be left to fend for ourselves as our fonts of knowledge walk away to leave us to it!

I chatted with ya last night Boncuk, anyways, Reload and I agreed, you buy the first round :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back