Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is ETO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My views on location is to identify whether or not this is an ESL (English as a Second Language) or more specific ETL (English as a computer Translated Language) situation. As far as not responding to certain areas, I would discriminate by the topic, but then all topics must run through a discrimination filter ... and over unity is one where I choose not to participate.

Location is also a discriminating tool for when one recommends sources of supply.

I could care less if the person is black, white, yellow, brown, polka-dotted, or has a third eye. Those are not the attributes germane to discussing a topic. KSA's (knowledge, skill, and attitude) dominates in the discussions. The "other thread" in General Chat is a prima fascia case where KSAs, or more specifically, the lack thereof, would lead me to not participate. It was painful enough reading that thread to put the associated thread in the members area in context. This does not mean a newbie's questions would go unanswered, as they would be treated differently.

Last edited:
Ditto with tvtech on the "Like" system. Too FB for me (and, frankly, not a little too juvenile).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the green/red boxes were more of a "peer review" sort of assessment, right?

If not, just how did the box thingy work (used to know but sort of forgot...)?
Hi Bob

If you had green boxes under your Avatar...you had been appreciated by people who you helped etc.
If you had red boxes under your Avatar.....it meant you had been on some sort of mission....not necessarily technical crappy advise....but some sort of stuff that was not appreciated...

I remember well April who was on red at one time. After much jostling too and fro with him...and understanding him in the process, I got him his first green block.

Rachit too, was on red at one time. I will never forget the memorable Evening him and I made peace. And we did it amicably. Because of the green/red block system. I ended up saying something like this "May the wind be at your back and ETO forever at your side"...

It was (for me) a wonderful way of settling differences and also providing a little entertainment along the way. I miss it a lot.

LOL...and then there was Frosty....remember him?? His drunk driving challenge kept him on red.

Very good memories of the old ETO.

All the best,
tvtech

Last edited:
ETO is not an Engineer's board. This is an engineering board: https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/87369?frmtrk=cr4sd#newcomments shown with with a hobbyist question. If you go there as a student and don't say your a student, watch out. If you go there with an Engineering question you might be told relative standards to use. many cases people as what standard to use.

Responses over there are rather like they are here. How a thread goes largely depends on what upfront info was given. After that you're working with the luck of the draw on who answers early on. Most days you get the literate knowledgeable guys but then there are the days where it seems like no one but the village idiots are online. ;)

Too little critical info and things go off way too formal and serious. Happen to have one of the by the book cermudjions get a reply in at the beginning and you're up against him the rest of the way. :rolleyes:

Over there is my primary hangout forum and for the most part things go pretty well. It just takes a bit of time to get to know the Q & A pattern that produces the best average results in a format that you are most familiar with. Not so different than here really. :p

tcmtech
Quite awhile ago, I went to CR4 based on your rapture with it and other comments. I read the posts by you bemoaning your wife's thyroid problems, as well as other technical posts. I saw how posts were graded. If anything, it is the opposite of what I think ETO should be. You like it there, fine. I appreciate your contributions here on power electronics. I don't see a conflict, but please don't try to make ETO into an image of CR4.

John

PS: I hope your wife is doing well and has gotten proper diagnosis and treatment by individuals more qualified than yourself. The Mayo Clinic is not that far away.

John:
I think it depends on perspective. tcmtech has earned, I believe Guru status at CR4, much like "Most Helpful Member" here, thus "over there" you and I may get an entirely different impression than tcmtech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back