Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is Displacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Banned
What is Displacement ?

Whats the difference between a capacitors displacement vs a inductors displacements?

Is Displacement and Phase the same thing?

What is Different from Displacement vs phase?

The displacement current flows through the dielectric between the plates when the capacitor is charging or discharging and is equal to the current in the condutors connected to the plates. It is not a movement of charge carriers as in the conductors.

It is predicted by Maxwell's equations. It gives rise to a magnetic field as does a current in a conductor.

Len

I can't really picture this in my mind this current or voltage displacement
i thought displacement was phase shifting?

But they are way different right?

Displacement current and phase shift are not the same thing, but are related. The phase shift is the relation of the AC voltage across the capacitor and the current thru it. The current thru the capacitor lags the voltage waveform because it is dependent on the rate of change of voltage.

Ok i got what phase is

But what is displacement current or voltage i can't picture this or
know what this is really ?

What is displacement current really? i can't seem to picture this displacement current or voltage in a capacitor or inductor?

how does displacement work? in a capacitors and inductor?

I have never heard of displacement voltage.

And I have never heard of displacement current in an inductor.

As I said in a previous post, the displacement current flows through the dielectric of a capacitor (be it solid, liquid or a vacuum) when it is charging or discharging.

You need to study Maxwell's equations.

Len

See if this helps.

Len

Attachments

• displacement_current.gif
    displacement_current.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 595
Thanks alot ljcox

Does the Capacitor shift or phase the Current what does the
Displacement do to the current?

According to **broken link removed**, displacement current isn't really a current at all. It is a name that Maxwell came up with to describe the term that quantifies the creation of a magnetic field by a changing electric field.

So if Displacement current is not current at all what is this displacement
current doing?

i always thought the capacitor displace the current thats how its get
its phase shift the lead or lag from displacement current?

When a capacitor is charged, the charge accumulates on the plates. The capacitor will work in a vacuum, so there does not have to be any charged particles in between the plates. There is an electrostatic field between the plates, which can be enhanced by using a dielectric between the plates. Forget about displacement current, it is not a useful concept.

Yea but i would like to know about what displacement does in a
capacitor i still don't really know what displacement is and does?

like russ said displacement is not a useful concept.It doesnt actually do anything.As said in the previous posts its the current through the dielectric.
And the phase difference is the difference between the current and voltage.
This is how i understand it;in a capacitor,
when u connect an uncharged capacitor say across DC.Ther is potential difference in the circuit.Uncharged Capacitor and Dc source.So a current begins to flow.Slowly the capacitor gets charged or develops voltage.And the phase difference of this current and voltage is 90 deg.thast what phase difference is.

I hope i have helped u in some way.

Slowly the capacitor gets charged or develops voltage.And the phase difference of this current and voltage is 90 deg.

I throught thats what the displacement is and does

Ron H said:
According to **broken link removed**, displacement current isn't really a current at all. It is a name that Maxwell came up with to describe the term that quantifies the creation of a magnetic field by a changing electric field.

It depends upon how you define current. The conventional view is charge carriers moving in a conductor or in a vacuum such as in a CRT. But I suspect there may be a more fundamental definition.

After relativity, Einstein spent the rest of his life looking for the "theory of everything". Recent developments in Physics tend to indicate that the string theory may be the much sought "theory of everything". If so, they may discover that a current is really a "flow of strings" and the movement of charge carriers is consequental, rather than absolute.

If this proves to be the case, then the displacement current could be a "real current". Who knows? I don't.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back