Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a good PIC starter kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfish

I have never used c or BASIC programming before. I am planning to build an autonomous robot that uses an ultrasonic transceiver to detect the objects. The PIC would then interpret the signals from the ultrasonic transceiver and turn on either the right motor, the left motor, or both motors depending on which way the robot would have to go to evade the object. I looked at the basic stamp and I also looked at the PIC. I decided to go with the PIC because the stamp was way too expensive. I have yet to decide whether to go with swordfish BASIC or C. Which code would be better for me to learn? A kit I looked at was the PICkit 2 starter kit,

Product Search - microchipDIRECT

Is this a good kit? Are there any other good kits that would provide me with everything I would need to learn programming, program the PIC, and finally apply it?

Yes - that's the one I recommend when anyone asks. C is more universal than Basic, Basic is easier, and I don't use either because I write in assembler like a real man.

That's a good kit, I have the same thing. The demo board will accept 8, 14, or 20 pin PICs (not PIC10 series though). But it's easy enough to breadboard the PIC you're using, and provide the programming pins, so you could just get the PICkit 2 without the demo board too.

Microchip also makes demo boards for other PIC package types, that can be used with the PICkit 2. But it's easy enough to make your own.

Last edited:
I have never used c or BASIC programming before. I am planning to build an autonomous robot that uses an ultrasonic transceiver to detect the objects. The PIC would then interpret the signals from the ultrasonic transceiver and turn on either the right motor, the left motor, or both motors depending on which way the robot would have to go to evade the object. I looked at the basic stamp and I also looked at the PIC. I decided to go with the PIC because the stamp was way too expensive. I have yet to decide whether to go with swordfish BASIC or C. Which code would be better for me to learn? A kit I looked at was the PICkit 2 starter kit,

Product Search - microchipDIRECT

Is this a good kit? Are there any other good kits that would provide me with everything I would need to learn programming, program the PIC, and finally apply it?
i am using Junebug and it works fine for me.
we have a added facilities like 18F1320 based projects, without need to assemble again.
the IR, and many others, please see the schematic at blueroom site.
you can directly be able to program any F series 5V chips. For 3.3V chips Bill gave a mod and that covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back