Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a Compiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the semantics. Install Picc-Lite and have a play. Better still install C18 and play. If (when) you get stuck, just ask.:)

Mike.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Really being a cross compiler makes no difference
Suraj143 posted
A car of course you can drive it to a place.But the final output is the place that you go.

It means can I use any compiler to compile a C code?

Then what about other computer software engineers? They also writing computer port drivers in C can we use their compilers also?

Helping him undersand what a cross compiler is (that compilers generate code for specific targets) was helpful to him.

Dare I start pointing out that the compiler doesn't generate the machine code? The assembler and linker generates the machine code. The compiler generates platform specific assembler code.

No?

LabRat said:
Dare I start pointing out that the compiler doesn't generate the machine code? The assembler and linker generates the machine code. The compiler generates platform specific assembler code.

No?

Not always, some compilers generate the machine code directly.

LabRat said:

No?
Now and again I write assembler and it gets turned into machine code. Sometimes I write C and it gets turned into "insert anything you like in these quotes" and eventually machine code. The rest is just semantics.:rolleyes:

Mike.

LabRat said:
Ah.. and when I'm involved, there is almost always... "some antics".

:D

Well, I've had a dozen bears and a botle of red and that made no sense to me. Care to explain.

Shiet, doesnt your speeling go to ratchete at this time of knight.

Mike.

Spelling in my post was correct:

Defn: Antics - 1. a ludicrous or extravagant act or gesture; a caper.
2. A buffon, expecially a performing clown.

With this in mind.. re-read:

When I'm involved, there is almost always "some Antics".

Pommie said:
Well, I've had a dozen bears and a botle of red and that made no sense to me. Care to explain.

Shiet, doesnt your speeling go to ratchete at this time of knight.

Mike.

hi Mike,
Rem: that N-m query.
In an idle moment, I figured that if you held out at full arms length, two 750mL cans of fourX larger that would be 1.5N-m.

No many people know that.:p EDIT: Cr*p, I forgot about Nigel.! I guess he would know...

Did you see my correction from Ojisan >> Ojiisan.?

There are many different C compilers from different vendors, different countries, however, a good one does save time.

Sometime, it is so hard to find one.
Especially for the newest chips, e.g. the dsPICs. I tried both Microchip C30 and Hi-tech DSPICC, both of them are too buggy to be trusted for right now.

Anyone has a good recommendation?

I heard Hi-Tech's C is no longer as good as it was before... can't confirm myself.

I use C30... and yeah sometimes it's a bit buggy depending what you want to do. Sometimes it's not a compiler issue.. but one of those 4575445 errata and/or silicone release :D

What kind of issue you got with C30?

There's still MikroElektronika MikroC for DsPIC30/33 and PIC24... never tried it myself...
https://www.mikroe.com/en/compilers/mikroc/dspic/

I like their development board though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back