What is a Clock period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavi98

Hello there ,

I got a question to be answered and it says to Design a sequential logic circuit whose output will become 1 after the input remains 1 for at least 4 clock periods (Using J-K flip flops). Could you please explain about this question and help me to draw the state diagram for this circuit?

Thank You.

It sounds like you need to design a count to four counter. You need 4 flip flops that each feed the next.

Mike.

A clock period is the interval between two successive clock edges of the same polarity; one cycle duration, in other words.
It also implies that's a constant, fixed rate clock signal at some frequency.

Four clock cycles, for your problem.

A four stage shift register would do what you ask,; data high propogates to the final Q out in four cycles, but also use the data in low as reset for them all.
There are other ways such as counters, eg, using three J-Ks as successive divide by 2 & the third output going high also locking out the input, but the shift register is the easiest for follow.

I think YouTube is the better source for you to understand basic JK Flip Flop

You can look at this several ways.

One way would be to collect 4 samples, using a clock edge to sample the data,
and then test the 4 samples for "1", using a shift register as rjenkinsgb mentions.
What basic gate would you use to test if 4 inputs were all "1" ?

Or set a flop and then taking one sample at a time and testing if it is a "0", if so
that flop gets cleared, otherwise its left unchanged. After 4 clocks that flop value is
transferred to a flop controlling LED. Then some logic to restart the test if this is
supposed to run continuously.

Regards, Dana.

What basic gate would you use to test if 4 inputs were all "1" ?
You do not need to do anything but look at the output of the 4th stage, if it's done as I describe.

Using the input as /reset as well, if can only ever give a high at that point if the input is continuously high.

You do not need to do anything but look at the output of the 4th stage, if it's done as I describe.

Using the input as /reset as well, if can only ever give a high at that point if the input is continuously high.

I know what you mean, but I don't think that meets the requirement as stated(?). The 4th stage won't have been 1 for 4 periods before changing state to 1(?). Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question....

What does sequential logic tell you?
What does "for at least 4 clock periods" tell you?

What type of "JK" flip flop are you instructed to use? Do you have a manufacturer part number? or is this to be a circuit simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…