Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What happen to the relay????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend to use optocouplers in the motor circuit, in this case no common GND with the high-current motor.

Attachments

• motcon.jpg
    motcon.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 375
have you connected the grounds together?
this is a common problem with using different power supplies..
without the grounds connected the signal comming from the pic has no reference, thus it will not work properly..
conclusion :: connect all grounds together.!!

Yoo... if i use different supply for different motor...... fro exmaple 9V fro motor 1 12V for motor... 5V for PIC... all supp,ly is separately..... i didn;t connect all the ground together...!!!!

cos i tried before when i cpnnect all togther with same suply... i pic burn. damage.. immediately...!!! sad..... :?

it seems the first circuit you posted is right. try putting simply an NTC thermistor in series with the motor load, see if your problems will go away...

GraveYard_Killer said:
it seems the first circuit you posted is right. i believe that your problem will be solved by putting an NTC thermistor in series with the high torque motor load...
what would putting a thermister in series with the motor do?

williB said:
GraveYard_Killer said:
it seems the first circuit you posted is right. i believe that your problem will be solved by putting an NTC thermistor in series with the high torque motor load...

limit the inrush current which causes the relay to stop operating.

GraveYard_Killer said:
williB said:
GraveYard_Killer said:

limit the inrush current which causes the relay to stop operating.
with a properly designed relay circuit the initial current spike is not a problem

gundam ,
measure the pic output with respect to groung , but dont use the pic ground.
then u will see what i am talking about

cause it happened to me once. driving an inductive buzzer load.
i changed 3 relays, no luck.
put capacitor as well as diode across relay, no luck.
isolated power supply, still no luck.
isolated with optocoupler, still no luck.

what i noticed with one of my relay(which has a transparent casing), there is a spark whenever relay activates, i figure out that inrush current is making my relay stop and pic to reset. i put a series NTC thermistor, since initially it exhibits high resistance which is ideal to stop inrush current, in series with my inductive load, and all problems gone, circuit worked flawlessly now.

thanks.... but i just using a capacitor to place across the motor...as shown figure above at point A and point B !!! the probelm also can solved..!!!! so which ways is the better one???? i just want to improve..... my circuit~~!! thanks... :twisted:

GraveYard_Killer said:
cause it happened to me once. driving an inductive buzzer load.
i changed 3 relays, no luck.
put capacitor as well as diode across relay, no luck.
isolated power supply, still no luck.
isolated with optocoupler, still no luck.

what i noticed with one of my relay(which has a transparent casing), there is a spark whenever relay activates, i figure out that inrush current is making my relay stop and pic to reset. i put a series NTC thermistor, since initially it exhibits high resistance which is ideal to stop inrush current, in series with my inductive load, and all problems gone, circuit worked flawlessly now.
his motor load is too high for an NTC thermistor

@Gundam28

what are the specs of your motor ,current consumption as well as voltage requirements?

hey.... erm.. i got one motor is needed 12volts..... then another is 3 to 5 volt...

at first turn on 12V.. relay no problem.... but when i using high torque one.. its a dc gear box..... relay problem happen~~~!!!! its only 3 to 5 voltages only.......!!!!!

Attachments

• relay1_125.jpg
    relay1_125.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 390
i got to go to bed Gundam.. its 12:39 am or 0:39 hours here and i am tired .. see ya tomorrow. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back