Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do you guys think of affirmative action?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy I know (he married a woman who used to work with my wife) runs a department at one of the local council offices. In one of the small (5 or 6 people) offices he was in charge of, the head of the office was moving elsewhere, so he had to promote someone to the head position.

The obvious candidate was the second in charge, who had been there years, and actually did the job while the head was away.

But no, my friend was told (by his bosses) that he had to promote the black teenager who had only just started, solely because he was black. Now the black guy was really nice, and all of them liked him, so my friend went to have a word with him to explain the situation. He was absolutely horrified, he said he didn't know his own job yet and there was no way he would do that to his co-workers, and if they attempted to promote him he would resign.

In the event my friend promoted the second in command, and almost got sacked over it!.

No one should be promoted or employed on the basis of colour or religion, it should be purely on ability - being told you have to employ someone totally incapable of doing the job is just absolutely stupid.

Nigle what took you so long ?

Speaking for my wife in this matter in addition to all of Nigle's statements would have been echoed by her and her family. It is one thing to feed a fish to a man and another to teach him to fish for the rest of his life.

.......................:D

Last edited:
quixotron said:
i sincerely doubt that they couldnt find any minority that is qualified. they either werent looking or didnt care.

So you know more about their situation than they do? Minorities are exactly that: Minorities! College educated minorities are an even smaller minority group. Minorities also don't have the same distribution throughout the country as the white majority. This leads to the very likely scenario where there isn't enough skilled minorities in an area to satisfy the hiring requirements of a business. It's not as cut and dry as "they either weren't looking or didn't care."

quixotron said:
yeah it never occured to him, that they could train the poor guy and still get the funding. both sides would win. most jobs require on the job training anyways.

Training means nothing if you don't have the basic skill set that a particular position requires.

quixotron said:
and what the hell does "stay at home" supposed to mean? i hope its not what i think it is. they are perpetuating a hate crime, the crime is denial of employment and the disguise is: oh no qualification-therefore no job, no training and NO DAMN CHANCE, you colored @#$%^&*!

I read it as they would have to higher an underqualified person that would be more productive just staying home in order to satisfy their quota so they can hire the properly qualified people that they need that don't happen to have the correct ethnic makeup.

quixotron said:
Thats what he really means!

:rolleyes:

People have comfort zones. A boss will take a friend's recommendation, he'll recruit in his church, and hire his son if he's qualified. Nothing wrong with that, except that the workplace will always be the same as the boss in all ways. Schools are more likely to admit a student if his father went there. Of course there's no intentional discrimination.

Quotas are wrong, but how do people outside that magic circle get an education or a job?

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
No one should be promoted or employed on the basis of colour or religion, it should be purely on ability - being told you have to employ someone totally incapable of doing the job is just absolutely stupid.

Come to South Africa and see what happens to you. Here employment works on a points system against you. A Black woman has a score of 1, Black man 2, White Woman 9 and White Man 10 (Last in the row).

I just resigned form a company that needed 12 qualified and skilled process engineers for power station control system designs. Because of the governments policies of Affirmative Action (BTW, we in RSA refer to it as Apartheid in reverse) the company employed 8 black men and one black woman BECAUSE they are black, and NOT because they can do the work.

I am not going to do someone else's work that gets paid the same salary as I do and he/she knows nothing. In our schooling system they simply DEMAND free classes, and at the end of the year when they all fail, they DEMAND their certificates or else they burn the place down.

Now tell me where's the justice in AA?

SPDCHK said:
Come to South Africa and see what happens to you. Here employment works on a points system against you. A Black woman has a score of 1, Black man 2, White Woman 9 and White Man 10 (Last in the row)...

Now tell me where's the justice in AA?

That pretty much explains why most of Africa is still in the dark ages.

Power Corrupts - Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely. In every country at every level in every Town, State, or system. As long as people have a choice they make the wrong one. Put the new emerging technology's in their hands without education and wisdom the world begins to look much Bleeker than it did yesterday.

Last edited:
phalanx said:
That pretty much explains why most of Africa is still in the dark ages.

:D :D :D You hit the nail on the head. We are currently experiencing problems with power shortages. They call it loadshedding. Power to certain areas is switched off in periods of 2, 4 and 8 hours. When it rains in RSA, you can be certain, there's no power. No power = no light, hence the DARKness of Africa.

Affirmative Action was recently voted out of Michigan, I personally voted against it. Affirmative Action's purpose is to help those whose parents or own selves have been disadvantaged due to racism. However, Affirmative Action is discrimination, and does not represent equality in any sense other than to try to force equality through reverse-racism. The purpose behind it is nice, but in practice it has no place in modern America.

Also, race should have no place on an admissions sheet for colleges.

That a majority of voters who showed up at the polls rejected the use of affirmative action drove the folks from BAMN absolutely bats. They tried really hard to get their message out, but it was like pushing on a string.

https://www.bamn.com/

A number of years ago now, there was a big push to try and get more coloured police officers - I think it was in Birmingham?.

Anyway, qualifying standards have always been extremely high, so they relaxed the rules if you were coloured - and took on 70 or 80 new coloured officers with a huge blaze of publicity.

Within 12 months every single one had been quietly sacked, had resigned, or even been jailed, as many of them were commiting criminal acts.

This isn't really about race or colour, but it's about having different rules and requirements based on the colour of your skin - if they had relaxed the rules for whites, I'm sure the same would have happened!.

wow! i have never encountered any other website that hates christians, blacks and hispanics so much as this one.

why do you guys have so much hate in you?

I can't remember seeing anything anit-black/hispanic/christian on this forum.

There may have been a debate in which certain religions were criticised pretty harshly but I haven't seen anything really hateful.

Please post links to the threads where you have seen this.

Although the BAMN are entitled to their own opinion, they can GTFO as far as I'm concerned as they seem anti-white.

Last edited:
In Canada most crimes are committed by blacks. The jails are full of blacks.
They are a small percentage of the population but a huge percentage of criminals. They all seem to be armed.

There are very few Mexicans or Cubans in Canada. We don't hate them.
Most of Canada is Christian. We don't hate each other.

audioguru said:
In Canada most crimes are committed by blacks. The jails are full of blacks.
They are a small percentage of the population but a huge percentage of criminals. They all seem to be armed.

There are very few Mexicans or Cubans in Canada. We don't hate them.
Most of Canada is Christian. We don't hate each other.

do you have the statistics on that? also why would youmthink the reason would be if that were true?

quixotron said:
wow! i have never encountered any other website that hates christians, blacks and hispanics so much as this one.

I don't see much in the way of hate. What I see is a tendency to make a choice which is comfortable rather than one which is difficult. I do see a deep suspicion of governments, especially the ones that feel the need to tell their citizens what they must do and how they must feel. I can't imagine that goes over very well anywhere, regardless of weather people feel they can express themselves or not.

I believe the voters of the state of Michigan took a pricipled stand against a government that presumed to tell them how to act and feel.

Last edited:
I think discrimination law stops statistics of the colour of skin of criminals. I see blacks on the news every night, arrested or wanted by the police. Usually for shootings.

Maybe they become criminals because of their poverty in Canada, the US and in their home country.

quixotron said:

Many members here are Christian. I would suspect that many are also black, Hispanic, Indian, and there are at least a couple of Sri Lankans, and so on.

Where do you get this "hate" baloney?

Torben

According to Freakanomics, the book, the average street corner dealer is living at home with his mom and making less than minimum wage so it is impossible to escape economic exploitation even in your own neighborhood.

The new crime of opportunity may be dealing in ordinary metal
The authors blog
https://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/

quixotron said:

No prejudices here boy, we hate EVERYONE equally!

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back