Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Coating is This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDoug

Hi, I just got done making a repair on my Dewalt DCS355 oscillating tool and am trying to find a similar coating/adhesive that was used.

It kind of has qualities similar to silicone but it's breaks easier if you bend it. I need something similar to this because it is what glues the circuit board down to the case it was in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3217.JPG
    IMG_3217.JPG
    936.7 KB · Views: 118
There are many different kinds of silicone. Are you sure it's not just the kind of silicone that does not produce acetic acid when it cures and is thus non-corrosive and intended to be used with electronics?

RTV162 and it's expensive because it's meant to hold down components onto the PCB.

RTV1035 might be the kind that's more suited for the purpose you're looking at, and cheaper.

Last edited:
Conformal coating is a thin coating used to protect boards from moisture and vibration. It's not intended to adhere anything together.

Ok. There is also a clear silicone like coating that is on the board too. If I made a solder repair job, should I put some more of this coating also?

That clear silicone coating is the conformal coating. If you repair it you could replace it with more silicone conformal coating. It's up to you and whether you just use your drill indoors ocasionally or on a wet dirty work site.

You should be able to solder through the silicone conformal coating for your repairs (not possible with other types of conformal coating).

That clear silicone coating is the conformal coating. If you repair it you could replace it with more silicone conformal coating. It's up to you and whether you just use your drill indoors ocasionally or on a wet dirty work site.

You should be able to solder through the silicone conformal coating for your repairs (not possible with other types of conformal coating).

There is 95% of the conformal coating still on it. I guess I'll just get the adhesive type silicone. So you believe I need an RTV type? I thought that was for higher temperature applications.

There are many kinds of RTV silicones. You need the kind that produces no acetic acid when it cures so the common stuff won't do.

You DO NOT want acetoxy silicone.

You want neutral cure, non-corrosive, oxime or alkoxy silicone. If it does not advertise it, then it is acetoxy.

There are many kinds of RTV silicones. You need the kind that produces no acetic acid when it cures so the common stuff won't do.

You DO NOT want acetoxy silicone.

You want neutral cure, non-corrosive, oxime or alkoxy silicone. If it does not advertise it, then it is acetoxy.
Thanks for your help. I changed my mind after thinking. I'm going to put a conformal coating back on the board since it will be exposed to a lot of dust. What do you recommend, acrylic or silicone, or any other type?

Just another thing I saw...What is a potting compound?

Sorry for the questions, I don't have much electronics background.

I like silicone.

potting compound is encasing in a block of epoxy hans solo style. very protective, very permanent.

I like silicone.

potting compound is encasing in a block of epoxy hans solo style. very protective, very permanent.
Gotcha. I forgot to mention if you don't what an oscillating tool is, it produces a lot of vibrations to cut various materials. So that would be why there was so much silicone to reduce shock.

If the board was covered with silicone, why would they need to put a conformal coating on it?

Here is picture of the softer type silicone that was on the board.

There are three types of coatings:
1. Conformal coating
2. Soft flexible silicone
3. Silicone adhesive on backside

Would you consider the softer silicone a potting compound?

Attachments

• IMG_3175.JPG
    IMG_3175.JPG
    992.5 KB · Views: 103
Gotcha. I forgot to mention if you don't what an oscillating tool is, it produces a lot of vibrations to cut various materials. So that would be why there was so much silicone to reduce shock.

If the board was covered with silicone, why would they need to put a conformal coating on it?
i imagine the conformal coating was for worksite grime and moisture. The white silicone for vibration and mounting. The coverage for sealing out moisture is quite high and you want no air pockets where moisture be absorbed, migrate to and condense. The white silicone might not be suitably "conforming" to do this.

Would you consider the softer silicone a potting compound?

no

I was able to find some Momentive RTV 162 for about $12 shipped off EBay.

My next question is what would be a replacement for the soft type "potted" silicone that was originally poured on the board. Remember this tool produces a lot of dust and vibration when in use, so I'm trying to get the most amount of shock protection possible.

Or do I even need the "potted" type silicone if I put a couple heavy coats of silicone conformal coating on the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back