Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are these things called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5point1

I don't really know a lot about electroncis, and therefore since I need an answer to something I figured I would start here...I hope there's some experts here!:)

Basically I have taken apart something called an AutoXray(no need to know what it is). The AutoXray has an LCD screen/display. The display is connected to the main part of the electronics which houses all of the IC's and chips etc. It is connected using some type of light-green plastic that looks like it has 8 or 9 thin, flat metal lines running through it. I'm guessing that these metal lines are basically acting the exact same as wires would, except they use these instead because it saves a ton of room.

So basically I have two questions. One, do these green, plastic things with metal lines running through them actually have a name. And two, since I want to extend the length of the LCD screen from the "brain", can I just use regular wires to do so?

THANKS!:)

I wish I had a picture but I don't...I tried searching online but couldn't find any...so I hope what I said makes sense!:)

It sounds as if you are describing a "printed circuit" type of flexible cable. If so, there is not likely to be much problem extending it as you described except that there may be some difference in inherent capacitance. This may or may not pose a problem, depending upon the specifics of the circuits involved.

OK Thanks...that's what I thought it was called...but I did a search on "printed circuit" and "printed circuit board" and could not find a single picture of what I'm talking about on Google...

Actually, **broken link removed** is a page showing some examples of the type of cable you describe. These are sometimes called "Kapton cables" because of the way that they are often made.

Kapton is a DuPont tradename for a flexible polyimide film. These cables are made of a layer of routed conductors sandwiched between two layers of polyimide film. Often, the Kapton brand film is used; hence the name "Kapton cable"... :)

Thanks...and yeah...those don't look EXACTLY what I'm talking about but close...also the ones I am referring to are light-green, but I doubt that really makes a difference...

The main question is whether I can just disconnect them, and use wire instead...I believe I can but need to be 100% sure...

:)

5point1 said:
Thanks...and yeah...those don't look EXACTLY what I'm talking about but close...also the ones I am referring to are light-green, but I doubt that really makes a difference...

The main question is whether I can just disconnect them, and use wire instead...I believe I can but need to be 100% sure...

:)

Yes, of course you can! - it's only a wire after all!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back