Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what affect does an MOV have on a 480V 3 phase circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Acuna

What exactly is an MOV? I HAVE A 3 PHASE 480V CIRCUIT RAN THROUGH A VFD. AT A TERMINAL BLOCK PRIOR TO THE VFD IS WHERE THESE MOV'S ARE .MY ? IS WHAT ARE THE FOR AND WHAT DOES MOV STAND FOR?

The Marvelous MOV is a Metal Oxide Varistor. In your 3 phase circuit they are used for transient suppression. If it is a Delta configuration there should be metal oxide varistors between Phase A to B, B to C and C to A for a total of three.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it greatly. Also thank. You for the link. It was very helpful.

Last edited:
I have another question . I have an MOV WITH A NOMENCLATURE OF ws410 can you direct me to somewhere I can find out what this means to see if what I have is sized properly

I am still learning how to use this forum . I don't know how to post a question on the open forum. I tried . I didn't see an icon or anything of that nature to take me to the open forum so I apologize if I am not respecting you request to keep it on the open forum.

Where I mention keeping things on the open forum it simply means please do not PM me with forum related questions. No problem at all as that is what you are doing. :)

My guess as to WS410 would maybe a reference to WS (Watt Seconds) since it pertains to MOVs. A rating of 410 watt seconds would be the same as 410 Joules.

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back