Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wharfedale 510.2 speaker crossover schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyV70

Hello everybody , I'm looking for a schematic for the crossovers in my 30 yr old Wharfedale 510.2 speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

They were fairly good cabs at one time, check the surrounds for rotting, its a problem with some wharfedales.
You might not be able to get a schem, are you trying to repair one?, if so use the other to work out what you have, presuming the other speaker has a good xover.

They were fairly good cabs at one time, check the surrounds for rotting, its a problem with some wharfedales.
You might not be able to get a schem, are you trying to repair one?, if so use the other to work out what you have, presuming the other speaker has a good xover.

Even if the other one has a good crossover, it's unlikely that the coils are marked with their values, and often the capacitors aren't either.

Back when Wharfdale were actually 'Wharfdale', you could ring them and they were really helpful - but (as far as I know) they were taken over (or the name was bought up) by some far eastern company - just checked, actually International Audio Group from China. So it's unlikely that schematics would be available.

Thankyou to you both for replying to my post. I was already in contact with Wharfedale a couple of weeks ago and as you suggested , they were not able to supply me with any info or specs. .... the inductors seem to be ok but I don't have the equipment to test properly. Also I can't find new propylene caps with a size that will pysically fit the board. So my choices so far are: 1) replace the caps with electrolytics (to match the originals) 2) Purchase a new set of pre- manufactured crossovers. or.... 3) Build new crossovers ..... Problem is I don't know the frequency roll off points of the original design. I have still not exhausted all my options but there still is hope that someone from the audiophile community may have an old spec sheet kicking around. Thanks for your efforts , BillyV

So are you simply wanting to 'upgrade' the crossovers?, so they aren't faulty?.

It would be pretty unusual for a crossover to go faulty in any way (other than dry joints on the inductors), it's doubtful you'd make any audible difference.

I would like to find a spec sheet .... have one blown speaker ( mid range voice coil blown : cone and coil fozen and cannot move) and one questionable woofer .(cone& coil move but not really smooth as a new speaker should.) I may try experimenting with crossover points as well as adding a fuse assembly and possibly an L-pad on the tweeter. This model was really pleasant to listen to when they were new but have deteriorated over their 30yrs of use . The 510.2 models had a design flaw with drivers and tweeters being overloaded when driven at a higher volumes. I was hoping to correct this by altering the crossovers with a different frequency curve . If I can't get spec info . I guess I'll have to experiment! Thanks , BillyV

I would like to find a spec sheet .... have one blown speaker ( mid range voice coil blown : cone and coil fozen and cannot move) and one questionable woofer .(cone& coil move but not really smooth as a new speaker should.) I may try experimenting with crossover points as well as adding a fuse assembly and possibly an L-pad on the tweeter. This model was really pleasant to listen to when they were new but have deteriorated over their 30yrs of use . The 510.2 models had a design flaw with drivers and tweeters being overloaded when driven at a higher volumes. I was hoping to correct this by altering the crossovers with a different frequency curve . If I can't get spec info . I guess I'll have to experiment! Thanks , BillyV

Funnily enough, back in the 'real' Wharfedale days I had a pair of Wharfedale Denton's - within a few days the tweeters both blew. So I rang Wharfedale, and actually spoke to the guy who ran it, he was a really nice guy. He explained that due to a manufacturing error, they had fitted the wrong crossovers, and the crossover frequency was far too low (some thing like 800Hz instead of 4KHz) - so he sent me a new pair of tweeters and crossovers, job done, never failed again.

Basically the low frequencies moved the cone too far, and snapped the voice coil wires.

Around the same time, a close friend of mine built a pair of Lenton kits - exactly same as the Denton, just a larger cabinet. His tweeters failed exactly the same, so I explained about the incorrect crossovers, and he rang Wharfdale - while I was there. He wasn't as lucky as me, and he got through to a really stroppy guy, who claimed the amplifier was 'too powerful', and asked what it was - interestingly my friend had a Wharefdale Linton amplifier - the exact one suited for the speakers. Anyway, this guy said he could 'sell him' some new tweeters - so I took the phone off my friend and took over - and I asked to speak to Mr. ???? (no idea what his name was now, but he was in charge). The Wharfedale asked why, and I explained I had spoken to him earlier that week, and had been told that they had inadvertently fitted the wrong crossovers - and while he wouldn't admit it, he did sent new tweeters and crossovers free of charge.

So it certainly sounds possible that they messed up the crossovers in these models as well, there's historical precedent for it.

If you're in the UK?, you might try contacting Wilmslow Audio, who are serious speaker experts, they might be able to suggest suitable crossovers or replacement parts.

Thanks for that Nigel ,but unfortunately I live I Edmonton . Alberta , Canada. I still might have to call them ... I've looked at their website . Thanks for your help!

Nige I assumed that the op had test gear.
If you want to replace drivers & crossovers then most likely you will not get the same sound from the cabs.
Doesnt mean to say dont do it, just beware that a different driver & crossover means probably a different colour sound.
You can get all kinds of software to design cabs these days, and you can build a test mic for a few quid, and get reasonable test results without an anechoic chamber, if you want to spend a little time & learn it might be interesting for you.

Thanks for that.... not in panic yet, as I do have a set of Mission 701's to use in the mean time. Not my favourite of the 2 but still pretty sweet. Thanks for your time gentlemen!

Hi, I stumbled across this conversation whilst surfing - I bought a pair of Wharfedale 510.2's in the late '80s and still enjoy them. Amongst the paperwork was a plot of dB vs frequency which I attach in case it is of any use in repairing the crossover.

Attachments

• Wharfedale 510.2.PDF
    946.1 KB · Views: 266
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back