Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Web host changing - is there anything better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gramo

Don't you just love changing servers and reconfiguring whole sites.. That's what my weekend consisted of for the digital-diy.com site..

It's hosted in the US now, Aussie hosting companies just cant compete with foreign hosting. There is not a single unlimited plan in all of AU, and anything over 50GB bandwidth is upwards of $100 p/mth.. I was on a 5GB/mth bandwidth, needless to say that gets eaten pretty quick.

The painful period is the DNS propagation. I left it for around 10 hours before starting any real migration, and could you believe it, the DNS actually reverted back to the old name servers mid migration - sigh. There was about 4 hours of recovery after that.

Anyway, its finished now, and lets hope it doesn't need to be done again for many years to come :eek:

It's hosted in the US now, Aussie hosting companies just cant compete with foreign hosting. There is not a single unlimited plan in all of AU, and anything over 50GB bandwidth is upwards of $100 p/mth.. I was on a 5GB/mth bandwidth, needless to say that gets eaten pretty quick.

Mine's supposedly unlimited, and nice and cheap - I buy as a bulk user and reseller, so provide various friends with their webhosting :D

£100 per year for unlimited bandwidth and space on ten websites, or £2.99 per month for one website.

**broken link removed**

Now I understand why Electromaster has chosen to ask for "contributions" to this site ?

$100.us a month that's crazy. Sorry gramo I like the your tutorials. But, I seriously hope it doesn't bankrupt you.

kv

My site and email server is hosted from the Attic with a backup server offsite in the workshop.

It also has a MythTV setup on it so I can record up to 8 channels of TV at the same time - I had to make some use of that 1.5Tb of storage on it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back