Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wearing pajamas and flip-flops in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

Is there some sort of clothing fad that I'm unaware of? I've been noticing a good many people wearing pajama bottoms and cheap rubber flip-flops to schools, shopping stores, etc. :confused: Today I saw a 50-60yr. old man wearing AC/DC pajama bottoms while shopping in a WalMart. He looked comical. Last week a similar aged tubbie was wearing Mountain Dew branded jammie bottoms in a grocery store.
College students walking to their classes look as if they just rolled out of bed and into the classroom. They drag their feet, making annoying shuffling sounds. Dressed that way and walking like that, they come across as being lazy and uninterested. It's disrespectful to the professors who spend a great deal of time and effort preparing their lessons and striving to provide a high quality education. :(

Move to Canada. You won't see people doing that at this time of year! :D

Personally, I saw it only once for a final exam which was on a Saturday at 8am. Can't blame them really.

It's no more disrespectful than making someone wake up at 6am! When you had to wake up at 6am to be there, it doesn't matter how high quality the education being provided is. Personally, I think a properly dressed sleeping student comes off as a lot more uninterested and disrespectful than a pajama wearing student who is awake because they spent more time sleeping and less time getting ready.

Last edited:
Today I saw a 50-60yr. old man wearing AC/DC pajama bottoms while shopping in a WalMart.
There are web pages filled with what people wear to WalMart. Maybe that's their target clientele and we're just visitors.

Personally, I saw it only once for a final exam which was on a Saturday at 8am. Can't blame them really.

It's no more disrespectful than making someone wake up at 6am! When you had to wake up at 6am to be there, it doesn't matter how high quality the education being provided is. Personally, I think a properly dressed sleeping student comes off as a lot more uninterested and disrespectful than a pajama wearing student who is awake because they spent more time sleeping and less time getting ready.
An 8am exam is one thing but 6am? That's unecessary IMHO. Still, I think folks should be dressed for the day in something more appropriate than jammies! It can setup attitudes in other people that could lead to possible setbacks for the jammie wearer!

Whoa! You are serious! And here I thought the mall was the place to look for fashion trends!

I am so glad I live in North Dakota! :D
You gave me so many more reasons to never leave now!:)

In Canada they dress the same as they do in their own weird country.

I will at times go out of my way to make some idiot stand out in the snow a bit longer if I can when I see them wearing a T shirt and shorts in -20F weather! :D

If they are that dumb I figure I am just helping survival of the fittest do the thing it should have done ages ago. ;)

Last edited:
When I was in California 1968 I observed a lot of housewives going shopping wearing housegear and haircurlers at ten o'clock in the morning. Additionally they paid check for an item of 25 Cents slowing down the traffic considerably. :rolleyes:

I guess it's just lazyness not to change clothes when leaving the house.

In Germany women dressed and made up like that won't get any service in a grocery store. They wouldn't have the chance to enter a supermarket either.

I also guess a student dressed orderly, hence using less time to sleep (early to bed compensates for early to rise) will follow the lessons with the same attention as one with a payama and socks having had 10 more minutes of sleep.

We have a saying in Germany: "Kleider machen Leute." translated into English it means: "Clothing makes people."

Some might think it doesn't matter so much what people wear. On the other hand would they employ somebody showing no interest in how he is dressed?

Boncuk

I have always dressed with reasonable appropriateness that fits the application. Sure you can see me at the store some times in the middle of the day wearing dirty jeans and a stained Teeshirt but thats because its an emergency trip right from where I have been working and can not change what I wear before hand.

As far as cloths makes the person? No frigging way! Are you kidding me?:eek:
To me thats like saying all poorly dressed people are stupid and poor and all nice dressed people are smart and rich! :mad:
Or that what is seen on the world media represents every person in America or any other country for that matter.

So can you tell how good or informative a book is just by what color and condition the cover is too? Or the quality of a movie by its name as well? :confused:

Yes some people are slobs with little respect for them selves I know that.:(
But then again I know enough well dressed business people who are dumb as rocks and as shady or crooked as a stereotypical cave dwelling terrorist! Nothing more than well polished turds in suits! :(

I may only be in my mid 30's but I learned along time ago to never never judge who someone is just by how they look. I can thank my upbringing for how I came to just know better. :)

What you state makes good sense, however there are many folks who operate from first impressions. As a professor teaching in a university setting, I would be inclined to have different impressions towards the student who attends class wearing normal attire versus the student who appears to be dressed for bed. It would be interesting to have a comparison study done on student GPAs of those who dress for success versus those that dress out of convenience or lazyness.

Personal experience for my self was this.
I was always properly and reasonably dressed for all classes. Clean shirts and pants with comfortable shoes and often a nicer jacket when needed. Typically I shaved every other day though but showered daily and was known by a few who sat near me in lectures and general classes as smelling pleasant as well. :)

For my more formal interactions with professors or in student body activities with other colleges I was always very well dressed.
Nice well fit dress pants and dress shirts with a contrasting but well matched tie. I was always washed and clean shaved just before the events as well. And I was commented on as having smelled very nice many times.
I was always positively commented on for may appearance and professional but still fun personality and even told I looked professional and somewhat intimidatingly handsome. And was apparently a bit of an ego point to have been seen standing by and joking around with by a few girls who I was closer friends with.:D

Want to take an honest guess at what my GPA was based on that reasonable description of my appearance and interactions with others? ;)

As far as cloths makes the person? No frigging way! Are you kidding me?:eek:

You're twisting words in my mouth, what I hate since I consider it lying!

To repeat: "Clothing makes people", a literal translation from German to English saying "Kleider machen Leute". The terms "person" and "people" certainly have not been created to expell the same!

To me thats like saying all poorly dressed people are stupid and poor and all nice dressed people are smart and rich! :mad:

Again twisting words like you like! Again a fowl! (Did you study Herman Goebbels, the Reichspropagandaminister of the 3rd Reich?)

Poorly dressed people might wear clean and tidy clothing which doesn't make them stupid or dumb.

Or that what is seen on the world media represents every person in America or any other country for that matter.

So can you tell how good or informative a book is just by what color and condition the cover is too? Or the quality of a movie by its name as well? :confused:

Please stay with the thread and get off my back with dumb little boy's arguments! :mad:

Yes some people are slobs with little respect for them selves I know that.:(
But then again I know enough well dressed business people who are dumb as rocks and as shady or crooked as a stereotypical cave dwelling terrorist! Nothing more than well polished turds in suits! :(

I hope that will shed some light on you. :D

I may only be in my mid 30's but I learned along time ago to never never judge who someone is just by how they look. I can thank my upbringing for how I came to just know better. :)

What 30's are you talking about? 1730's or earlier?

Learn the next time on occasion applying for a new job. Try it the first time wearing (good looking for teenies) torn up, stinking and dirty jeans, dirty shoes and black fingernails. I don't bet you'll get a job as sales representative. :D

If you don't succeed getting a job that way try it another way: Wear normal trousers a clean and ironed shirt and a jacket - worn out, but clean - and polished shoes and clean fingernails and answer only if somebody asks you something.

People with your attitude had no chance for employment in my company. They didn't even have the chance to get to my office.

Addionally I have not asked for your unqualified opinion in that matter.

And, maybe this is a little help for you: Crumbs should lean back relaxed and listen while cakes are talking.

Boncuk

Did you get tired of going around with Warpspeed and figured I was a good fall back to take things out on? :rolleyes:

Relax. Apparently what you meant didn't translate as well as you thought. Your comments came off as just being rather judgmental and a bit closed minded to me. You just sounded like someone I know from back in his younger more egotistical days where he assumed the world revolved and worked around his views and understandings of people. :eek:

Besides you should know by now I like a good debate now and then!;)

Sorry If I picked some subjects to question you about and at what was apparently the wrong time for you. My apologies. :(

For what its worth these are open forums and what anyone says is fair game to be questioned by anyone else at anytime. If you dont want comments or questions about what it is you post then dont post it!
Even though you and everyone else who comes here may not have any real intentions to make deliberate insult comments to anyone else what does get said still can be misinterpreted by others as an insult or demeaning remark any way.

That subject gets tossed around here very frequently by countless members with countless interpretations of what others may or may not have been intending to say or imply for good or bad.
Its just one of the down sides to having so many different cultures and subcultures interacting in one location.
The personal aspect of learning about how other people think and understand things is always going to cause friction at times. Age, experience, willingness or ability to think an understand is all variable from one person to the next. :)

Some days the gears mesh well. Other times a few teeth may get knocked out before things start to line up properly! :D

Addionally I have not asked for your unqualified opinion in that matter.

And, maybe this is a little help for you: Crumbs should lean back relaxed and listen while cakes are talking.

Boncuk

Please keep in mind that statements like those two, especially that last one reflect more on you than whoever you are talking about. It's as bad as people who start calling other people "son" when they start losing it to try and call attention to their own self-declared seniority, qualifications, or experience and somehow discredit the other person. Even if it's true and you have something to back it up (which of course no one ever really does on the net), it still reflects poorly on you.

Last edited:
Hi tcmtech and nguyen,

I like discussions on a base referring to what I had posted. I do not like them if words are twisted a way to make a sentence get another meaning.

Again, either going to school, university or applying for a job requires proper dressing - not necessarily designer stuff (you might be overdressed trying to get a job).

If someone doesn't keep to that unwritten law he'll fail.

I have no self-made authority, superiority or seniority at all, but get upset if somebody twists the words in my mouth.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Did you get tired of going around with Warpspeed and figured I was a good fall back to take things out on? :rolleyes:

Nope! It's going on in different threads. :)

What has a laser burning diode to do with "nasty Americans"? :)

Dont know myself.

It does bring up thoughts of how different cultures and even people view and interpret each others casual comments or actions though. :)

Whats a casual comment in one cultures views may very well have a strong negative connotations in another.

Just the same as how one person may interpret how someone dresses.
In some cultures and settings how a person dresses may mean everything. In others it can mean completely nothing of any consequence!
Military settings are probably a very good example that anyone from most anywhere would see and understand how a subtle variation in dress code or attire can have a very profound meaning or status associated with it. ;)

Boncuk.
I never twisted any word of yours or lied by my intentions. But rather just interpreted what you had said as if it had been said by anyone from my local culture. Apparently I mistook what you inferred wrongly based on what was a familiar although somewhat negative comments common to my cultures more bigoted, racist or supremacist members.
Just the same as your reaction to my post was apparently something that carries more of an insult or unfriendly connotation in your common cultures mannerisms and ways of speaking.
I intended no insults toward you. Just my interpretations of what I understood from my perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back