Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wearing pajamas and flip-flops in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3v0, EVERYONE judges by appearance, if you don't think you do you're only lying to yourself. It's an unavoidable part of human nature.

Oh come on! :D
Haven't you ever just watched people before and just wondered what their life is like? Not in a judgmental way but in an 'I am just curious what its like.' way? :)
Other cultures and their ways of life are often very alien to all of us.

I often wonder what each person on this forum is really like in real life. We have a diverse representation of a number of major and minor cultures and societies here. :)

Hi Tech,

You are right on. I see it all the time, live in NC. What's really funny is when I see people in the airport with their pajamas and flip-flops on and they have a big pillow under their arm. I remember when people wore suit and ties on airplanes. I know that times change, but wearing pajamas in public is a little strange.

3v0, I think MixxElectronics sort of nailed it well.... it's not so much an issue of what's right or wrong..... more of what appears to be strange or far from the norm. Straying from the norm isn't necessarily wrong.
Why is what other people wear an issue ? It is narrow minded to think we should dictate what people wear or judge them by it.
Specifically from my standpoint, it's more of trying to understand the WHY. In today's world we witness all kinds of abnormal behavior or trends. Do we even dare to try and state what is normal anymore in this world? Diversity is at it's peak, IMHO whether it's a people's tradition or intentionally skewed for personal agendas. If kids or a 50yr. old man choose to wear jammies and flip-flops in public, unless there are statutes prohibiting it, so be it. However, I have the right to disapprove of it personally and I keep it to myself. Here we are discussing the topic generically and without the intent to set out to change things. No one is forcing others to change their ways. And as far as being judgemental towards others dress, IMHO if I were a HR rep conducting an interview, appropriate dress code would be high up on my list.
I stopped at an auto parts store yesterday wearing a sweatshirt, sem-dirty jeans, baseball hat, and dirty hands. Store employees expect that from customers, given the nature of that business. If I'm a professor teaching at a university, the focus is on learning and preparing one's-self for their own future. Jammies and flip-flops prepare a person for bed or a hospital surgical procedure, not the stimulated thinking and interaction of a classroom environment.

When I was growing up we all dressed up on Sunday to go to church. The men wore suites and the middle aged females stuffed themselves into girdles to wear a dress a size or two smaller.

In general these were all good people. But in my eyes it was a dog and pony show for people who wanted to act like snobs. . It was all about what family had a new car, what gal had a new dress. It rather poisoned my attitude regarding dressing up or putting on the dog. Anything past a sweater vest and tie has me asking why ?

The very idea that we expect people to conform to some dress norm bugs me.

3v0

Same here. I have often found those who have to dress up to impress have very little of anything impressive inside them. Not always but more often than not.

I do however feel that some do take the under dessing aspect a bit too far myself. I know people who are very skilled and talented computer technicians, business managers, and in other higher pay and responsibility positions who do in fact dress and look like some of those people in the Walmat pictures when on their own personal time! :eek:

For me when I reach a point with my own business expanding to the level of needing to hire people I will probably take a more realistic approach in regards to whom I hire.
I will look at the skills and talent each person may have that will benefit my business the most. What they wear to the interview will hold little bearing on how I perceive their worth and value.
Should they prove themselves to be worth hiring though there will be a basic dress code that will be followed and adhered too within reasonable expectations of what their specific job requires.

The reasons for me feeling this way are simply being that I know people who are fat slobs/freaks with marginal dress skills who are in fact incredibly talented and worth looking the other way for at times simply because I know they have whats needed on the inside to do the job far better than anyone else. Their quality of work is what I am interested in and thats what pays the bills with the greatest profits!

Yea your business may have it personnel dressed to kill but my slobs and freaks will get the jobs done right and under budget the first time. After all they dont need to spend money on appearances or take time out of their days to worry about what they look like. :)
If you hire based on looks its probably why you dont produce the highest quality products or work at the lowest cost! If your employees need to distract the customer with fancy fluff it probably because their work is unable to impress your customers by itself! :D

3v0
Ask a good many motorbikers that question. They wear leather to minimize road rash, supposedly. However during hot days it's a leather vest at best and no helmet... hmmm. On a cool or normal temp day it's full leather or leather jacket and jeans, but predominantly you'll always see a leather jacket or sleeveless T-shirt. Why? It's to make a statement, same as the reason they have their loud bikes.
Clothing serves two purposes only, the way I see it. To eliminate or minimize public nudity (aka- keep warm) and to make a statement. That's what high fashion is all about... glamor statements. Now that I think about it I guess maybe I can conclude that a student wearing jammies & flip-flops to class is making the statement: school sucks, this class is boring, and I want to go back to bed. The sleeveless biker with tatooed biceps is stating: Look at me, I'm a bad-ass freebird. The pickup truck driver wearing a baseball hat in reverse with loud mufflers is stating: Outta my way or I'll run over your little rice burner. The prim and proper woman adorned with jewelry and driving her Mercedes is stating: I'm high society and I have the money to back it up.

I find personal hygiene to be important. Secondly, one must dress appropriately for the peer group in which they interact.

It comes down to self-respect, poor grooming is often due to lack of respect, for both oneself and others. Appropriate attire for ones profession is expected, if you deviate from this, then you will find yourself missing promotions.

I have been invited to one of my dear old friend’s house for Thanksgiving dinner with his very large family. I feel honored to be invited, and out of respect for my friend and his family, I will be dressed nicely.

To say people dress nicely only to compensate for other shortcomings is simply not true, many do so because they are detail oriented and present themselves in such a way to show what they might bring to the table.

As there are many types of cars, there are many reasons to adorn oneself in many ways. It comes down to whom you are interacting with and why.

To see someone show up at wall-mart in PJ’s or a moo moo is a sign of a lack self-respect, with that said, I question what kind of respect they would show others, so yes, I judge by appearance.

Mikebits said:
I find personal hygiene to be important. Secondly, one must dress appropriately for the peer group in which they interact.

I have not seen anyone here advocating poor hygiene! Stink stinks, regardless of what you are wearing.

For the most part all I see in your post is a desire to conform.

To say people dress nicely only to compensate for other shortcomings is simply not true, many do so because they are detail oriented and present themselves in such a way to show what they might bring to the table
Can one rule out either viewpoint?

I am quite sure both the compensators and the detail oriented people exist. Since they both wear the uniform you need to look much deeper.

It works the other way too. They guy that does not dress up could be an outstanding person with enough personal worth not to bother with the dog and pony show. Or he could lack self respect.

To think you can pigon hole people by their clothes is exactly why I objected to this thread in the first place.

3v0

Last edited:
To think you can pigon hole people by their clothes is exactly why I objected to this thread in the first place.

3v0
Object all you want to. Perhaps in an effort to clarify things it may be safe to state that first appearances can be misleading, therefore quick judgement isn't warranted. However, repeated intentional poor dress does speak volumes. A homeless street bum is likely to be poorly dressed almost daily and of poor hygeine. While this person could be of genuinely good character and kind, we have to get over the hurdle of what our eyes see and how each of us processes that visual information. If we were blind and relied on our ears, we'd be making judgements via that sense accordingly, be it good or bad.

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. Why keep bring up the stinky homeless street bum (again hygiene problem). I understood we were talking about regular everyday people who dress in a manor more casual then the norm.

My contention is that snap judgment is a far worse offense then dressing outside the norm. The first is an ignorant thing while the second is simply not conforming to a standard or little, or even questionable, value.

Where I grew up it was customary for men to remove their hats when entering a building. Either the custom never existed here, or it has been lost. Rather than think it is less civilized, I understand that my reaction is a product of my rearing. It is a bias. As educated people we need to try to understand why we react the way we do. There is a huge dividend in understanding the roots, value, and appropriateness of our reactions.

It is OK to not follow the herd. It is OK to be who you are or want to be. But personal freedom must be tempered with common sense. In each case you need to weigh the pros and cons of your action.

3v0

When I was growing up we all dressed up on Sunday to go to church. The men wore suites and the middle aged females stuffed themselves into girdles to wear a dress a size or two smaller.

In general these were all good people. But in my eyes it was a dog and pony show for people who wanted to act like snobs. . It was all about what family had a new car, what gal had a new dress. It rather poisoned my attitude regarding dressing up or putting on the dog. Anything past a sweater vest and tie has me asking why ?

3v0
I always felt that what was in our hearts and minds on Sunday mornings was more important than showing up to church wearing blue jeans. Traditionally the wearing of one's Sunday Best was to put on our best clothing before the Lord. If left at that it's nothing bad. However it has become a fashion parade. Heck, I always got urked by peeople leaving church early to avoid the parking lot rush or to get to the reastaurant before the church crowd gets all the good tables/seats. That behavior is very contrary to what attending a Sunday church service is really about, IMHO.

Amen Brother HiTech! :D

As a kid I hated being dragged to Church all dressed up so could less than willingly participate in the dog and pony show the adults seemed so concerned with. :mad:

I would spend the time in Sunday school having things like God created me, God knows every atom of my being, God doesn't care about what I have or who I know, and God loves me the way I am drilled into me. Then to get put in a corner (fairly often) for questioning stuff like why we have to wear the monkey suits to church and how come every one acts so fake to everyone else. :D

I dont mind going to church some times but dont expect me to kiss the local corrupt drug dealing, bribe paying business owners butt because he gave the biggest donation that day and has the most expensive suite on in the building while I am there! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back