Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

We always go back home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

Corny title I know, but it somewhat sounded appropriate. I left the electronics industry in 2000 to chase my dream to be a firefighter/EMT. I accomplished that goal, but due to my age it was a short lived career.
After months of job searching and a multitude of resumes sent and job apps filled out, I finally landed another job in the electronics field. I took a tech job even though I once held the title of engineer, but that's okay, I really do not need the aggravation and stress that goes along with that title.
So I start a new chapter in my life next Tuesday :) Even though I like to think I conduct myself in a professional manner on this forum, I am not sure it is in good form to name the company that hired me as I am required to hold a secret clearance. I can say however, that the company is UK based, so I would be delighted if someday my new role required me to make a trip to the company headquarters in the UK.
So after a long break from the field, I am back :)

Congratulations on the new job.

I am not sure it is in good form to name the company that hired me
In my opinion, that is a very good principle to follow.
It is unwise to tell the whole world your business.

JimB

Congrats and good luck Mike.

Never too late to go back, and I've been around here long enough to know you've never lost touch with electronics.

Except for my Navy time (and a brief stint as a EE major at Purdue U.), electronics has never been a "profession" for me. More of an occasional side line.

It was, however, my first childhood "hobby" and at retirement it once again became my favorite occupation (I was "back home").

Designing a circuit is fun (I do love my simulator), but actually building, testing and finally deploying one is my most satisfying source of intellectually stimulating entertainment. My only regret is that I can't do it 100% of the time :banghead:...

As my start day approaches, I feel myself being more nervous than a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs :)

Congrats and good luck Mike.

Never too late to go back, and I've been around here long enough to know you've never lost touch with electronics.
That is very nice of you to say:)
Thanks

Mike, wishing you all the best on the new job. Hopefully it will bring you much success and more important happiness in the work place. I retired four years ago after a long and enjoyable career in electronics and all of it working under clearance, including several years at NAS North Island and Point Loma on your side of the country. Hope everything works out for you. I seem to remember when you made the move to Fire / EMT that was many years ago.

Ron

Mike, wishing you all the best on the new job. Hopefully it will bring you much success and more important happiness in the work place. I retired four years ago after a long and enjoyable career in electronics and all of it working under clearance, including several years at NAS North Island and Point Loma on your side of the country. Hope everything works out for you. I seem to remember when you made the move to Fire / EMT that was many years ago.

Ron

Wow, small world. I know point Loma quite well, I did volunteer work at the Cabrillo National park in Point Loma as a Tide pool docent.
I made it through my first week at the new job. I have been somewhat disappointed though, as their expectations of me seem quite low, and the training they have me going through seems rather rudimentary and not up to no way near my background or skill level. I am hoping that in time I will be able to demonstrate that I can do much more than that which is currently being asked of me. :)
I do realize that I have taken a detour in my electronics career, so perhaps I just have to pay my dues once again, if ya know what I mean. Anyways, good to be back in the business.

Often the way with new jobs Mike - I should know I've had enough of them!

Congrats and good luck Mike . Must be an exciting time starting a new job, I was a techie for 30 years , fast moving times then , unfortunately the old hands got left behind or could not cope with MSDOS ! eventually I got made redundant...

I made it through my first week at the new job. I have been somewhat disappointed though, as their expectations of me seem quite low, and the training they have me going through seems rather rudimentary and not up to no way near my background or skill level.
Be happy and I am sure in time they will see and come to appreciate your skill level. I have seen people start in jobs way over their head as a result of inflated resumes and their employment is short lived. :) Anyway, just be happy and again, congratulations. Point Loma was about submarines during my years out there. Between NAS North Island and Point Loma was my life. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back