Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wattage Of A Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

What exactly is responsiple for wattage of a device?
why does a water hearter has 1000's in wattage, whereas a bulb is just 20-100 watts?
Do they have lower resistance compared to lower wattage devices?...Because voltage is always constant but only current varies!

I want to make it clear that how the Wattage of a Device Depend on?, and how the higher wattage devices pull more current (Practically)?

A water heater is usually made from a thick wired copper tube connected to the heater power. The lower copper resistance per meter makes it a very small resistance, which will draw a large current.

The light bulb is made from e.g. wolfram wire together with a glass bulb with vacuum. It takes a lower current to make the wire glow, and some (not a lot) of the energy is converted to light, and not heat as the water heater.

Learn and understand I=E/R and P=I*E

Last edited:
Learn and understand I=E/R and P=I*E

Put 'em together and you get P=E²/R

So power (watts) go up when voltage goes up (exponentially), and goes down when resistance goes up.

So, for a given voltage, a high-watt device shows a lower resistance (or impedance) in the circuit than a low-watt device.

Clear as mud?

As for why a water heater has a lower resistance and thus draws more power than a light bulb... because it's designed to. It takes more energy to heat 40 gallons of water than to light up a room. One could make a 100 watt water heater but the water would take a really long time to heat. You could stick a 1000 watt bulb in your ceiling fixture but you'd go blind, melt the fixture and burn your house down all in one easy step. :D

Last edited:
To reply simply. Yes, at the same voltage, a higher wattage device has a lower resistance. A lower wattage device has a higher resistance.

Put 'em together and you get P=E²/R

So power (watts) go up when voltage goes up (exponentially), and goes down when resistance goes up.

So, for a given voltage, a high-watt device shows a lower resistance (or impedance) in the circuit than a low-watt device.

Clear as mud?

As for why a water heater has a lower resistance and thus draws more power than a light bulb... because it's designed to. It takes more energy to heat 40 gallons of water than to light up a room. One could make a 100 watt water heater but the water would take a really long time to heat. You could stick a 1000 watt bulb in your ceiling fixture but you'd go blind, melt the fixture and burn your house down all in one easy step. :D

Thanks ... i really liked your explanation !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back