Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water Detecting Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

memnoor

Hi there....
I am working on the mini-project on ATMEL microcontroller and i want to use the sensors for detecting out the water.....
I need help wht kind of sensor could be used? Can i built my own sensor....plz guide and help me out.

Hi there....
I am working on the mini-project on ATMEL microcontroller and i want to use the sensors for detecting out the water.....
I need help wht kind of sensor could be used? Can i built my own sensor....plz guide and help me out.
Two pennies 1 mm apart may work; look up the resistivity of tap water in ohm-meter to calc. the resistance of the water between these two.

water detector

Have you never heard of GOOGLE?:rolleyes:

33,700 results for homemade water level detector = one quick search:mad:

Maybe he thinks we have better ideas then the whole WWW or maybe he doesn't want to have to determine which of a zillion ideas would work best. I have one in that case, hire someone full time to whach and let you know if water is detected.

Lefty

Last edited:
Have you never heard of GOOGLE?:rolleyes:

33,700 results for homemade water level detector = one quick search:mad:
So is Google making people more dependent or less dependent?:confused:

LOL priceless link.
Water conducts. Use two metal rods that are close together but not touching, attach this to the base of a darlington transistor, when there is current, it will turn on. Attach this logic to your controller.

AC works

Hi there....

Tap water is moderately conductive.

Electrodes: Use 1/4 inch copper tape. Cut two one inch strips on an insulated substrate that does not absorb water.

Signal Source: Apply a 25 10 60 hertz alternating curent with a peak voltage of 5 volts through a 10 kilo ohm resistor to the sense strip and ground the other strip.

You use alternating current to avoid electrolysis that may erode your electrode.

Detector: Be sure to connect the anode of a common silicon diode like th 1N4148 to the junction of the copper tape sensor and the 10kilo ohm resistor.

Connect the cathode of the diode to a 1 micro farad capacitor and shunt the capacitor with a 100 kilo ohm resistor.

Comparator: A common comparator of operational amplifier, I used a TLC2272 in the prototype that I built to verify your design. with a pot to 5 volts DC. Set the pot for 2 to 3 volts.

Test with tap water.

Good Luck...

google

So is Google making people more dependent or less dependent?:confused:

On what?:confused:

I'm not any more dependent on Google than I am on a dictionary or a spell checker, or a road map. Have you ever used an Encyclopedia or a library card catalog. Are we dependent on all of these?

Google is an incredible resource which is there to use. It's why it is so successful.

I am dependent on google. I use it for everything.

dictionary - in google type define: 'watever word'
spell check - i just type the word in google ... "did you mean..."
road map - google maps / google earth
calculator/unit converter - "5 feet in inches" - bammm

if google wants to take over the world, it has my vote.

If you don't retain at least some of that information though tresca you're not learning anything.

I do, not all of it, but the important stuff.

Do I care how many inches there are in a kilometer ? No.
Will google tell me if I need it. Yes
Do I care where the closest late night pizza store ? No.
Will google tell me if I need it. Yes.

Somethings you should know depending on what it is you do, like how to bias a transistor and what a transfer function of a low pass filter is, but for everything else theres mastercar...hm...i mean google.

And should anyone care -
1 kilometer = 39 370.0787 inches :)

On what?:confused:

I'm not any more dependent on Google than I am on a dictionary or a spell checker, or a road map. Have you ever used an Encyclopedia or a library card catalog. Are we dependent on all of these?

Google is an incredible resource which is there to use. It's why it is so successful.
I was wondering about the OP.
It probably should be "standard procedure" nowadays to search the Web before asking anyone anything.

You don't care where the closest late night pizza store is? Sorry tresca, that's too important not to know! <joke>

Attached in a zip file is a program I like to use which works juts fine offline, works on all versions of windows I've ever used (all of them)
I keep it on a USB flash drive I carry with me, just in case.

Attachments

• Convert.zip
    163.6 KB · Views: 115
well that makes a good sense....i will try out the best out of these...
but one thing can we use the probes or just copper wires and giving them supply of 12v...at the min: and max: level of the tank...

Water Detection electrodes

Dear memnor,
I have found that adhesive copper tape provide good contact area. Round wires not so much.

I just tested a 0.25 inch wide electrode pair with 0.25 inch spacing at 1 inch length with Orlando Utilities tap water and found the trip point near 10kohms.

The source was my function generator, which was set to 1 volt root mean squared an 1kHz. The upper arms of the bridge were 100 k ohm resistors and the bridge amplifier was a classic 3. The output was peak detected with a 0.1 second (1 meg and 100 nfd) enveloped detector. TLc2274 quad operational amplifiers working on plus and mins 6 volt batteries seemed to work fine. I set the comparator at 0.1 volt threshold.

Let me know how it works out.
All my hopes...
Bobmar7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back