Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Washing machine trip the breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
If washer stops tripping RCD ( which was resulting in power outages of course ) its no reason to worry to plug new pc parts?

what relevence is that
If there is a concern for any external power interference reaching the pc would a surge protector not help peace of mind?
If the washing machine is drawing 10 amps there doesn't leave much room for anything else.(if the breaker is 15 amps)
The best thing would be to isolate the washing machine to it's own circuit.

In your first the picture looks like you have your finger on the on the RCD breaker. That will normaly be directly on the input to the consumer unit. The output of the RCD feeds a number of MCBs. The RCD does not trip on overcurrent. It trips with earth leakage by monitoring for a difference in current in the live and neutral conductors. If there is a difference then some current must be flowing to earth. It is the MCBs that trips if the fault is overcurrent. As I don't know which country you are in I don't know how your sockets are wired. (Radial or ring main configuration.) If there is an external source of interference putting the PC on a different circuit in your house will not help.

Les.

If there is a concern for any external power interference reaching the pc would a surge protector not help peace of mind?
If the washing machine is drawing 10 amps there doesn't leave much room for anything else.(if the breaker is 15 amps)

Circuit overload doesnt matter because it happened even with only washer running. :) But like i said it not tripping again RCD,because washer is not fully of clothes like before + my mother cleaned some element. Its fine with washer. We tried 5 times and no tripping.

So........can i plug new pc parts and run new pc?:)

You're not in the UK, we don't have wiring like that - and power surges are EXTREMELY rare on the UK electrical system. UK wiring uses ring mains, giving high current capacity on each individual ring (usually with a 32A MCB on each ring - 7.68KW per ring) - with high current items, such as cookers and showers, having their own individual circuits (and directly wired, rather than using a plug and socket).

He clearly stated, and even gave a picture, that the RCD had tripped - which is caused by a leak to earth (in this case in the washing machine) - not a power surge, or anything like that.

It sounds to me like the machine was pulling too much current which caused the breaker to trip.
I don't think it was an earth fault.

It was the earth trip which triggered, so it couldn't be too much current - which in any case would more likely have taken the 13A plug fuse out, rather than the 32A MCB. All UK plugs are fused, to a maximum of 13A - which would be used on a washing machine.

But like i said it not tripping again RCD,because washer is not fully of clothes like before + my mother cleaned some element. Its fine with washer. We tried 5 times and no tripping. So what was that? overloaded laundry propably...motor

But like i said it not tripping again RCD,because washer is not fully of clothes like before + my mother cleaned some element. Its fine with washer. We tried 5 times and no tripping. So what was that? overloaded laundry propably...motor

As the earth leakage trip went, it was a leak to earth - presumably due to water getting to the electrics in the washer? - which 'may' have been causes by overfilling it?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back