Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Washing machine trip the breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

sew333

When my washing machine (7 year old ) was running yesterday it trip the breaker ( that one ,first on the left , RCD i guess?!) and no power in home. We reset the trip and the same happened twice more (took me a ittle while to realise it was the washing machine!). The socket is OK, and I presume the fuse in the plug must still be OK as the machine worked for a a couple of seconds before the fuse went again.

That one :

9i.jpg

It was not happening during all years never before,which is very weird only yesterday. But my mother put inside a lot of clothes yesterday.

Ah and circuit overload doesnt matter,because actually i have only tv and laptop,oven running,like always.

Today we run again washer,but this time she put less clothes than yesterday...+ she clean and dry some element ( not heater for sure ) . Dunno what.

And no breaker tripping and power is on still.

Now its fine,washer working without issues in home. And all other devices in home,like tv,oven,light,laptop working fine.

So leave that or change something in electricity home?

I ask because i want to plug my new pc parts.

But i had many pcs in home all years no issues,even last pc from 12.12.2017 to 10 december 2018 and no issues. So i ask now. If everything is fine now again, can i plug new pc?

Is the WM older technology? Such as ordinary induction motor as opposed to the current models that have the Fischer-Paykel outrunner motor, (very quiet), as the latter has overload protection in the machine.
Max.

http://www.brandt.com/laundry-care

Just a concentrate about topics questions,please;) Mainly...i want to know....

If washer stops tripping RCD ( which was resulting in power outages of course ) its no reason to worry to plug new pc parts?

We cleaned washer ,put now less clothes in and its fine. Even if, we will not use washer when using pc.

Last edited:
The motor might be going bad from dust / not being lubricated / motor bearings going bad.
It's an Alternating Current motor, so there's a startup capacitor attached to it. That might be going bad as well.

If it starts to do it a lot, I would see how much a service call would cost.

Technically when washer trips RCD and power goes out, this is the same when oven and bulb inside get damage and oven will trip rcd and power goes out too ..... .

So its the same?

I ask because year ago , november 2017 i get the same power outage,but bulb inside oven get burned and trip RCD and power goes off in home. But after all was working fine,still. But i am asking of course.

It sounds like you had a power surge, and it tripped the circuit breaker.

Are they're a lot of lightning storms where you are? A main power line or transformer might have been hit by lightning.

nah it was because bulb get burned when running oven,no storm etc

bulb inside oven get burned and trip RCD and power goes off in home. But after all was working fine,still. But i am asking of course.

There's a lot of confusion caused here by calling it a 'circuit breaker' - there are essentially two options, either an MCB (fuse) or an RCD (earth leakage trip).

In this case it's the RCD, which is tripped by a leakage to earth. A washing machine would be a prime cause of this, as it mixes electricity and water, a slight water leak inside could easily trip the RCD.

I've had this twice, both times the wiring harness that comes down the front of the machine had rubbed through grounding one of the wires taking out the elcb.
Its a pain to get the front panel off a washer.

Both the same, hotpoint.

Say no more :D

Where I used to work all the staff bought Bosch washers, a little more expensive than Hotpoint, but FAR more reliable. We sold Hotpoint as well as Bosch, but we sold a LOT more Bosch, but had a LOT more complaints about the far smaller number of Hotpoints we sold.

I have a beko now, probably made in the same chinese factory as a zillion others.

There's a lot of confusion caused here by calling it a 'circuit breaker' - there are essentially two options, either an MCB (fuse) or an RCD (earth leakage trip).

In this case it's the RCD, which is tripped by a leakage to earth. A washing machine would be a prime cause of this, as it mixes electricity and water, a slight water leak inside could easily trip the RCD.

Nigel: In the USA, they're called GFIs or Ground-Fault-Interruptors. :)

Ok, well it stops my stinkers from stinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back